Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

       I strolled down the hall, fairly confident that I was heading in the right direction. My eyes scanned over the rusty, blue and green lockers placed in between doors of classroom. Though there were people walking by me in a rush, I remained calm, slowly allowing myself to adjust to the day.

       “Hey, babe,” someone huskily said, placing their hand on my shoulder.

       “Dylan,” I greeted, recognizing his form of speech and voice instantly.

       “Where ya headed?” he questioned, as I resumed walking.

       “Homeroom,” I answered simply.

       “Oh. Say hi to the bitches for me,” he said, insulting the girls once again. “By the way, how was your little date the other night?”

       “Oh, fine,” I said casually.

       “Did you meet Alex?” he asked bluntly. I nodded slowly, wondering about Dylan’s outlook on the blonde boy I had met, though I assumed it would be less than favorable.

       “What happened between you two?” I found myself asking.

       “Between me and Campbell?” he arched a brow.

       “No, with Eric. Why don’t you like him?”

       He let out a low laugh, smiling knowingly at me. “Babe, the emotions I feel towards Wilson are a little stronger than ‘don’t like’. You’re new, and, honestly, the reason I hate him is irrelevant; all you need to know is he’s bad news.”

       “Whatever,” I mumbled.

       “So, did good ol’ Eric get to first base, or strike out?” he suggestively inquired, as we arrived at the room often referred to as “Five-twelve”.

       “Wouldn’t you like to know,” I said cryptically, walking into the room and leaving Dylan with that tantalizing thought.

       When I walked into the room, I saw the usual clusters of friends conversing, and looked for the one I had made a habit of associating with.

       “Liz!” Tara called out, waving her hand wildly at me.

       I nodded my head in acknowledgement, and walked over to where the three girls were standing. “Hey,” I greeted.

       “Were you just talking to Dylan Collins?” Lauren accused.

       “Yup,” I said, seeing no point in evading the truth on the matter. 

       “Liz!” Tara groaned.

       “What?” I sighed, knowing that I hadn’t done anything wrong.

       “He’s not a good kid,” Lauren said. “I heard he was doing drugs!”

       “Wouldn’t surprise me,” Tara scoffed.

       “Can we stop talking about Dylan?” I requested, sitting down on top of one of the desks.

       “Sure,” Tara said lightly, “what are you doing tonight?”

       I thought for a moment before replying, “I was planning on chilling at my house, doing homework, and possibly watching TV.” Yeah, I could be boring when I wanted to be.

       “Isn’t your mom out of town?” Lauren questioned.

       I looked over to Alice, hoping she would give me any insight as to what was about to go down, but her head was turned down as her fingers tapped viciously away at her phone. “Yeah,” I answered slowly.