Broken Boy

It was midnight and instead of stopping by to see Kai at my apartment I went to where we always met each other, on the beach where the rocks were. I sat on the one I always sat on and stared out into the sea.

            I tilted my head back to stare up at the beautiful full moon lighting up the area for me. I shut my eyes and inhaled the salt ridden air. I wore a dark red summer dress and it looked bloody in the night as I stared at the fabric, it reminded me of when Kyungsoo was cut up and bruised from the gang fight. I sighed. Why is it so hard to let you go Kai? A sound of someone clearing their throat ripped me away from my thoughts. I turned to see Kyungsoo eyeing me and then he let out a beautiful smile.

            “How…?” he sat down next to me and his doe eyes darted to his hands before looking me in the eyes.

            “I could smell you. Creepy, huh?”

            “No” I giggled. “But I am a little freaked out just a little”

            He stared up at the moon also and shut his eyes, gulping.

            “Lauren I’m sorry but you smell really good.”

            “And that’s offensive, how?” I laughed. He let out a deep laugh before he looked over at me once again. 

            “The moment Kai introduced me to you; I can’t forget your scent. It smells like summer rain or something earthy, and I have to be honest I am highly addicted to it.”

            “Wow, I never knew I could become someone’s drug” he didn’t laugh, he was being completely serious with me. He continued to stare at me.

            “You know Baek and Chanyeol are really cute together” I suddenly say feeling really nervous of what’s happening.

            “They are but I think Chanyeol could be a nicer to Baek. You don’t know what they do really since you haven’t known them for long; but let me tell you they go at it like a couple of rabbits.”

            “Seriously?” I ask.

            He just nods and begins to lean in but stops himself.

            “I can’t live like this anymore. I know you still love him but give me a chance, please.”

            My eyes widened in surprise, and he leans in and kisses me, nothing rough, nothing harsh a nice gentle kiss. He pulls away and looks at me dead in the eyes.

            Someone claps behind us and I turn around to see a yellow eyed, pale, sick looking Kai.

            “I loved the part Soo where you told her about how enduring her scent is. That was just beautiful.”

            I didn’t know what to do, so I just stared at Kai as he strode closer to us.

            “Go with him Lauren he’s healthier, he’s better for you.” My heart fell.

            “You were the one who told me to try and move on; it doesn’t look like you’re doing any of that”

            He laughs bitterly. “I didn’t know it would be this soon, you know what I don’t need you anymore. I never needed you, I’m perfectly fine by myself!” he snapped. His breathing became shallow.

            Kyungsoo got up and went to get closer but Kai began to snarl. I was scared at this moment and I wanted to get the old Kai back.

           “Just go” Kai’s voice cracked, he began to cry and it sounded almost like he was losing all the air he had left.

            “Kai- I-“I tried to speak

            “Go!” He screamed.

            Kyungsoo grabbed my arm and pulled me away from the broken boy. Tears flowed down my face, I felt so torn.

            Here at my side I have an angel straight from heaven, and then there’s the mysterious, inevitable, sweet Kai breaking apart and losing hope by the seconds. Kyungsoo and I walked all the way back to the mansion and Baek was waiting in the living room. When he saw us enter he immediately sensed trouble.

            “Kai” was all Kyungsoo muttered before he yanked me down the hallway and to my room. He shut the door behind us and he pulled me into a hug and held me tight.

            “I’m so sorry” I could hear his heart ramming against his chest in a craze.

            I peered up at him and wiped his eyes with my thumbs and smiled weakly.

            “If Kai doesn’t want anything to do with me then so be it” I cried. I hugged him as tight as I could trying desperately not to let go.

            “He’s just upset that’s all” Kyungsoo said. The door opened behind Kyungsoo and Baek took me away from Kyungsoo and into the spa like bathroom and wiped away my tears with a napkin.

            “Talk to me” he said. I was seated on the top part of the toilet and I couldn’t stop crying.

            “He hates me because Kyungsoo kissed me, and he wants me to move on and-“

            “Shhh” Baek embraces me and kisses the top of my head. “Breathe”

            I inhaled like I smelled the most delicious pie on earth and exhaled like there was fire in my lungs.

            After Baekhyun helped calm me down, I went back to my room to find Kyungsoo had never left. He was lying on my bed paying attention to his cell phone until his eyes lifted to see me smiling shyly at him.

            “I’m ready to give you a chance” I said watching his eyes light up and his bright smile illuminates the room with his angelic aura.