Chapter 14: Triads

Almost a week had passed since the incident with Chrome. His wounds were healing well under the care of professionals that bustled in and out round the clock. Yuki was surprised that the crime lord had actually allowed people to come to and fro from his apartment. Kia had also been more than hospitable towards him, bringing him the papers from time to time as well as specially heading out to purchase food that the younger male had been craving for. This pampering and care was not something that the assassin was accustomed to and it made him uneasy sometimes.

Most of his stiches had turned a pale pink, indication that he was healing well. But the doctor had mentioned that most of them would leave scars since they had been torn open too many a time and not allowed to heal properly the first time round. This made Yuki sad because he had been so proud of having flawless skin throughout his life, which was rare for an assassin of his calibre. It had not been easy to avoid bullet and knife wounds and all it took was one slip up. Not to forget the yellowing bruise on his face. The young man had decided to leave this place when they thought he was growing comfortable in the environment.

And today was the day. He had specifically informed the doctor that he wanted his check up to be scheduled in the evening. The doctor had consented seeing that there was really nothing wrong with the male’s condition and all his vitals had stabilised. He waited till the crime lord left with Kia in the morning and then told his nurse that he would like to sleep. She would leave him all alone until he hit the buzzer that would summon her.

Once he heard the door shut, Yuki slowly got out of bed, testing the stability of the ground beneath his feet. It had been some time since he walked around and being bed-ridden just did not sit very well with him. Stripping quickly, he threw on his old set of clothes that he left here the very first time he was kidnapped and brought to this apartment against his will. It was a simple sweatshirt and jeans, good thing too. Comfortable clothes helped a lot right now, especially with the multitude of injuries that were healing over his body.

Shrugging gingerly into his jeans, Yuki threw open the windows of the room, cold wind hitting his face like new breath of life. He looked down and it was a far drop, after all they were on the thirtieth storey. But keen eyes spotted a landing not too far down and going through that room would help him to reach the elevator. There were no lights on, indicating that there was no one home.

The male climbed out as carefully as he could so that there was no aggravation of his partially healed injuries. He did not want the whole week of lying in bed to go to waste. Injuries were a hindrance to his profession. He took a deep breath and leapt, landing as quietly as a cat with the softest paws. There was no one home as he had predicted. Pulling a pin from his head, Yuki began to pick the lock skilfully and entered the apartment, reaching the lift landing in a matter of minutes. He had to move fast before someone recognised him.

The young assassin managed to make a smooth escape, hailing a down a cab to take him back to his own apartment. There were a couple of things he needed to grab before heading out. The crime lord would surely hunt him down at his own home and drag him back. Yuki knew he had to move fast. He had only a couple of hours to make his escape. He paid the taxi driver and rushed up, crunching in the passcode to his apartment. Throwing open a large backpack, he threw in a couple of fresh clothes and grabbed his rifles and swept his Firestar Plus along with some cigarettes, tossing them into his bag. Yuki zipped it up and threw it over his shoulders, picking up the newer of the two rifles; he raced down to his Hayabusa. Securing the long case at the side of his bike, he revved the engine and blitzed out onto the road, the wind whistling past his helmet.

It was about a forty-five minute ride before he pulled into an elegant hotel that overlooked the edge of the city. He used to live here before he had bought his current apartment. The money he had earned over the years was enough to cover a lifetime worth of stays in their presidential suites. His killings earned him good money, though it stained his hands red.

Yuki collapsed onto the bed, ravelling in the soft sheets, pale eyes staring up at the ceiling. He eased the phone out of his pocket and checked through his messages, deleting those that were already expired. It was going to be a week more before he could take any jobs that required him to run around, and shoot. He needed a drink, it had been too long since he last poured himself any form of alcohol, or smoked a cigarette for that matter.

Before he could fish his cigarettes out of his duffel, there came the soft chime of the doorbell. With a puzzled expression on his face, the assassin started out to get the door. It was odd considering he had not made any requests for room services. Yuki opened the door just enough to see who it was. Before he could shut the door, the other had wedged his foot in the gap, preventing it.

“How did you find me?” Yuki exclaimed throwing his entire weight against the door, it wasn’t much help considering he had been bedridden over the last week and strength was not on his side.

“It’s not difficult when you have the right connections.” The man on the other side gave one last shove and the door gave, throwing the assassin off balance for a moment.

The younger male righted himself, his expression half terrified and indignant. His face paled one more shade when he saw who had stepped through the doors. It was the right hand man of one of the strongest triads in Hong Kong. He had done the snatching job against this triad before and they must be after him for the disc.

“Where’s the disc?” He asked roughly. The man was taller and larger sized compared to the assassin, stockier and muscled. Yuki could feel his blood pounding in his veins; there was nowhere to run and his gun was still packed in the duffel.

“I don’t have it anymore.” The assassin declared truthfully. At that the man lashed out at him, but the smaller male was faster and he dodged with eased, retaliating with a brutal kick to the gut that connected solidly.

The man grunted in pain but seem unfazed as he swept out a kick, knocking Yuki off his feet, landing heavily on the ground, the impact of the fall jarring his entire body. It took the assassin a moment to regain his composure and to shake the pain away. But that was all the other man needed as he knocked the male out with one clean punch. The young male felt pain blossom like a rose in full bloom within his skull, his vision swum for a moment before there was only black.