Prologue

Banner by TwilaJames :) Liam and Skylar <3

***

“There!”

        I smiled down at my work. Double layered chocolate cake with crushed oreos and a scoop of strawberry ice cream on the side. I licked my lips hungrily, practically drooling at the delicious looking piece of dessert in front of me. I shook my head, my dark locks flying everywhere. Skylar, don't you dare eat it. You must wait for Liam to get home. Then you can stuff your face with that piece of cake.

         After having a five minute inner debate with myself, I finally concluded to wait. The cake isn’t going anywhere anyways. And plus, Liam will love it even more if he knew the trouble I had to endure to not even taste it. He knew how much I look forward to to this date each and every year.

         Today was a special day for the both of us. It was our second year anniversary of marriage and our fifteenth year anniversary of friendship with one another. It was also Valentine’s Day. Every year since we met, we would spend the whole day together, enjoying each others’ company. I would bake Liam's favorite cake and he'll bring me a bouquet of flowers. Though, when we were younger Liam’s caretaker would do the whole cake thing, and brought the flowers Liam would pick out. Since the first time we did this, it was an unspoken promise we would continue the tradition every year, and it brought me joy whenever I watch those eyes of his melt with pure happiness.

         But before I could even finish baking the cake today Liam's father suddenly called asking him to come to the office immediately. I knew it was probably business related since Liam was in line to take over his dad's law firm so I told him to go and in the mean time I'll finish baking.

         Of course, he was reluctant to leave but eventually he obeyed and told me he'll be back as soon as possible. He gave me a quick peck on the lips, whispering a soft ‘I love you’ before he was rushing out the door.

         That was almost an hour ago and I was dying for him to come back so we could chow down and watch some romantic chick flicks together, laughing at all the cliche crap that happens. I was just about to pick a movie we could watch when I heard the jingling of keys.  

         My smile brighten, clapping my hands. He’s back!

        Grinning like a fool, I happily ran down the stairs, skipping the last step. I couldn’t contain my delight, knowing that the love of my life was on the other side of the door. I waited patiently, giggling excitingly as I imagined his handsome face and those amazing changing eyes of his. Sometimes they were a bright forest green, and depending on his mood, it could be a soft grayish blue.

        When the door opened, I jumped gaily into his arms. The familiar scent of AXE mixed with rain hit my senses, making my heart rate quicken like a pounding drum. Even though we’d been together for so long, his presence alone made me weak in the knees still. That boy was damn fine for his own good.  

         My eyes snapped opened when I didn’t feel those strong arms around me, engulfing me in a tight hug like he usually did when I jumped on him. He didn’t even welcome me with his sweet calming voice, and I definitely didn’t hear his deep chuckle, joking to get off of him because I weighed ‘a ton’. Instead, I felt his hand shoving me far away from him as possible.

         When I had my balance under control, I blinked staring up at him in confusion. What the hell just happened? When my eyes met his, all I saw was pure anger. And they were directed at me. Before I could even get a word out, he was grabbing my wrist, and throwing me out the door.

         “Get out!” he barked, his eyes flashing dangerously.

         “W-what?” I managed to stutter out. Was this some kind of a joke or something? This has to be right? This can’t be real. Why would my husband be kicking me out? And on our day, especially! He was fine when he left! So what the hell changed?

         “You heard me!” His nostrils flared. “I want you gone, and away from me!”

         “B-but why?” His eyes flashed with guilt probably seeing the frightened look on my face, but it was gone in a millisecond, replaced with rage. “Don’t you love me?”

         “I hate you!” he spat in my face. “I don’t want to see you ever again, you hear me! We’re over.

         “O-over?” I asked, hearing my voice break and quiver. There’s no way he’s telling the truth…we can’t be over! We are each other firsts! In everything! “You can’t mean that Liam. You don’t hate me. You love me, right? You’re my best friend Liam.” Even though I managed to steadily said those words out loud, I was anything but calm inside. If Liam didn’t say something, say anything, and deny those words out of his mouth, I-I’ll die. He’s the love of my life, my soul mate.

         “What don’t you fucking understand!?” I gasped hearing Liam cursing at me. H-he never done that before. Not to me at least. He said if a guy truly loved someone he wouldn’t dare use those words on a girl he loved. D-does this mean, he’s telling me the truth? “Let me spell this out for you. I don’t want you anymore. I hate you. We’re through. I’m kicking you out. And I want a divorce. I’ll make sure to get the papers to you. But beside that, goodbye.”

         He didn’t even let me speak before he shut the door in front of my face. It didn’t take long before the waterworks started spilling like crazy down my cheeks. I didn’t want to cry in front of him, but when he said the words “I hate you”, I could literally hear my heart snapping into two. It felt like a bulldozer hitting your body over and over again. But this, this was worst. At least with the bulldozer, after the first hit, you’ll be knocked unconscious. But this? I felt everything. Every word he throw at me was another stab to the heart. Why would he do this to me? What even happened while he was gone? Can a person really stop loving someone that quickly?

         Once I finally had no tears left to shed, I begged and pleaded for Liam to open the door. I couldn’t give up now. I just couldn’t. So I screamed and pounded like mad—I’m surprised the neighbors didn’t call the cops. But he never once opened the door. He never once answered me. He never once cared. He pretty much left me in the freezing cold to fend for myself.

         When the truth finally settled in hours later, I picked my drained body off my front porch, and walked three miles to the bus station. Liam had the keys and my phone died so I couldn’t even call my parents to come pick me up.

         As I rode the bus ride back to my parents, I knew one thing was for sure, Liam and I were over. The guy I fell in love with died along with my heart. Whoever that person was, he wasn’t the sweet loving husband I knew him to be. He was cold, ruthless, and evil. He wasn’t my first friend. He wasn’t my first date. He wasn’t my first kiss. He wasn’t my first boyfriend. He wasn’t my first love. He wasn’t my first time. And he definitely wasn’t my first husband.

 ***

A/N: This isn't your typical childhood sweetheart story. So, please if you're new to this story, give it a shot! I promise you won't regret it! So I hope you all enjoy reading it xD