The Shadow Behind Me

I was walking down the avenue when I felt eyes piercing my back. I looked around but didn't see anyone of suspicious movement.

But I knew what I felt. My instincts were telling me something was off. Something was wrong today and I couldn't shake off the feeling.

I continued my way a little more vigilant. A little more of it could get people paranoid but I needed the extra awareness that came with its wake.

More and more, my suspicion of being followed grew stronger. Someone was on my back, tracking my steps and chasing after me. I'm sure of it.

I was starting to panic when I caught my self hyperventilating. Stop! I shouldn't panic. Panic had done more bad than good in this kind of situation since it clouded the mind from working properly. Panic would only give whoever was on my back another advantage.

I took a deep, sharp breath and released it in a shaky sigh.

Time to know whose following me.

I looked behind my shoulder and tried to scan the faces who sparked a memory or looked distrustful. There was a 40 year old woman with a scarf. A teenage boy wearing a St. Raphael uniform. Old grandma with a hand full of shopping bags. And. . . there was this sand brown haired guy rubbing his nose while talking to his cellphone.

Wait a minute!

I saw that guy before. I rattled my brain for the location and, after almost giving up, it popped into my brain. Bingo! I saw him passed by me this morning when I was heading inside the school building. And he was talking with someone on his phone, too.

Blood rushing to my head, I changed direction. I turned to a corner just off the main highway. I didn't use this part of town much when I walked home. The streets had too many twist and turns that I ended up losing 20 minutes worth of good television shows while using it. But now, I worked it to my advantage, making my way expertly through the maze-like pavements stretching half a mile wide.

I looked over my shoulders as I turned to yet another corner. And I couldn't stop the shudder that vibrated down my body when my eyes caught hold of the same guy this morning and the one talking to the phone a while ago. He saw me watching and avoided my stare so casually that I would have thought he was just a stranger passing by and just out of boredom check whose in front of him. If only I wasn't already suspicious of him I would just dropped him off.

"Fuck." was all I could say as I duck my head lower and increased the pace of my footing.

When I was turning to another corner, my stomach dropped as I caught sight of him jogging up to catch up with me.

Oh oh. That’s got to be bad.

I stepped one foot heavily on the ground and lunch my self. I broke into a run, adrenaline pumping up my systems to keep up with my sudden acceleration.

I looked back at my pursuer. He was running, hunting me down. My knees wobbled when danger caught up with me followed by fear. My heart was thundering in my chest, I sensed my lungs burning for oxygen and felt the blood agitatedly racing through my overloading head. My stomach churned like plastic sac filled with rocketing killer bees. I'm not ready for this! What should I do?

I made a sharp left and run faster as though my life depended on it and it did. I headed toward an alley that will lead me directly to the park and after that the nearest law enforcers, the park rangers.

When I turned to that alley, I knew I made the greatest mistake of my life. My steps faltered as I stared mouth gape open at my worst luck. The end of alley was sealed with a seven feet high concrete wall. It wasn't there last week when I chose to use this path going to the same destination but with whole lot different reason, for fun reason.