ChapterTwentyOne: The Beast

Maeve always knew she didn't have the best luck. When one of her siblings jumped over a river with one long jump, Maeve fell into the cold river in the middle of hers. But now when she is standing as pale as a sheet in the middle of a secluded hallway when a pair of grey eyes are staring at her angrily.

Today was definitely not the best day for her.

Even the child was gone. Maybe she can hear Maeve if she screams loud enough? She truly hoped so but knew even if Sera could hear her she wouldn't come. After all, she is a weird human who is standing ten feet away from the king of werewolves.

"F-from who?" She muttered although she knew the answer. She smelled like Ethen.

He didn't say anything. He just stood there and watched as the damsel tried to relax. It was obvious that she had some breathing problems and that she would have a heart attack soon.

This was the first time they looked at each other's eyes since the kiss. Even the thought of it made Maeve feel dizzy. Maybe if she passed out she could get away from the consequences of smelling like Ethen?

His eyes were even more grey than she remembered. They reminded her of a storm that brought down trees and made floods. In some light, you could see a hint of a dark blue in them. She truly adored his eyes and wished that she could have them.

She didn't want to be afraid of him. She's sick of being afraid of everything and everyone. She wants to be herself without shuttering or trembling. The human wanted to do it for Cory.

Okay, she can do it. Take a deep breath and say it, you can do it Maeve. "I w-want to bury her."

Dominic's facial expression didn't change, he didn't give any emotion slip through his face. Emotions are weaknesses.

"No." A simple answer that crushed the human's heart. How can someone be so heartless?

"I'm going to b-bury her and you can't do a thing to c-change it." She didn't know where she got the strength to say that, but deep inside of her she felt like she owned it to Cory. Maeve can and will give her the proper goodbyes from this world to another.

He continued to stare at her. He noticed how she kept gulping and scratching her arms. She is showing him how weak she is. He smirked.

Suddenly Maeve felt weird. Her breathing got quicker and her nipples hardened that she could feel them brush the fabric of her corset painfully. A sweet color of red spread to her cheeks and she turned to look at her feet.

'Just take a deep breath and demand to hold the burial', she told herself. Maybe she is just getting sick. Yes, that must bee it because she has never felt this way before and it is some kind of shapeshifter disease.

Maeve started panicking. If it is a werewolf disease what will it do to a human? If she would be a wall of muscle maybe then and only then she would survive, but she looks more like a stick someone could snap in half.

Why couldn't the disease wait for few more days? Why did it have to happen right now when she is with him?

She can't show him that she is sick. She needs to pretend to be the woman her mother was; strong and fearless. That is when she felt something wet down there. She blushed even more.

No, Maeve thought she couldn't let the sickness prevent her from burying Cory. She needs to focus on her friend and at her funeral. Not in the situation she is with the sexiest man she has ever seen and in her sickness.

"W-where is her body?"

"Why stutter?"

Maeve took a deep breath and promised to herself that is she will survive she will stop stuttering. Then no one could ever mock her again from it. She wouldn't be afraid of them anymore.