ChapterNine: The Princess

"Well Tommy, today is a new day," Maeve whispered to her new little friend. Tommy is a mouse she found. He is just like her, alone in this world. The huge cat killed all of his friends and family. It has been whew days since she ran for her life.

No one has come to visit her. Only a few servants have brought her food and water which she has given to Tommy. Some may call her weirdo or a food spender because she gives it to a mouse. But why should she eat it and watch someone else starve? She is a human and he is a mouse and either one of them couldn't decide what they would want to be. If they could have a choice Maeve would have wished to be a werewolf. If she would have been one of them her family would have been alive and she wouldn't be in that rotten cell.

"Maybe they aren't going to k-kill me today." The mouse peeped.

"I know that too. They hate me because I'm a human. Oh, Tommy don't look so sad we will survive and if we don't we will s-see each other again in h-heaven."

"My Mother used to always tell me stories. I and my siblings loved them, there was always a new story. She never told a story twice except for those times we begged her to tell us a story again. Do you want to hear a story, Tommy?"

The mouse stayed silent.

"I n-need an answer," Maeve said but she didn't get one. And what should she expect mice can't speak.

"Well if you don't want to hear a story I'm g-going to tell myself one." Tommy scampered next her legs.

"Once upon a time there was a princess. She was beautiful and every man desired to be with her. But she was selfish. She thought that no man will never be good enough for her, always she could find a more handsome or richer man. Once a poor man came to ask her hand and she laughed her off. If she is going to marry someone he will be rich and handsome. The poor man was neither one of them.

The princess ordered her guards to c-catch him and throw him into one of the cells. That man stayed in there for few weeks before the princess had had enough of him. It seemed like he was some kind of wizard. Because the princess had seen every night since the day they met dream about him, her and their family. And there was no other explanation in her head unless he could do magic.

So that beautiful princess ordered execution for him. He would die in the hands of an executioner. And after that, she will never have to see those dreams again. Everything seemed perfect to her but that was before the day came.

When she saw him being dragged to a platform her heart cried. Her chest felt like someone tried to claw out to save him. 'It is only because of magic' She muttered to herself through the entire execution. If she wouldn't have known about the spell he had put on her she would have thought that she has fallen in love with him, a poor man from a farm.

After seeing an ax separating his head from his torso her world fell apart. Even weeks after the execution she would stay in pure silence in her room staring out of a window. She didn't eat or leave that place. It felt like someone would have obsessed her.

It was love.

She had fallen in love with that man but was too selfish to admit it to herself. Because of that, she lost the love of her life forever. Because that man was her mate, but her hatred feelings for him hid it. Many men came to ask her hand but her answer was always 'No'. Her heart would never ever fall in love again.

A few weeks later she killed herself by jumping off a cliff. The pain of a broken heart was too much for her."

The mouse interrupted her story by screaming.

"What's w-wrong?" Tommy didn't answer like expected but he hid under Maeve's dress. He seemed to be truly scared but Maeve didn't see anything different in the cell she was in. She stared the cell and outside of that cell but the only thing she saw was an empty hallway. She didn't even see the guards at the end of the hallway.