Chapter Twenty-Two

I looked at my stomach that was now protruding more than it was before. I should've known something was up when I didn't get my period these past three months. Guess I was too wrapped up into this bull shit I hadn't noticed the change in my body. I opened my eyes and looked down at the First Response test I had just taken. The two clear pink lines told me my final fear. I was pregnant. Based on when I had my last period, I already know it belongs to Kane. Belongs to a man I will never see again. I know nothing about shit like this. What if I'm too far gone that I can't abort it? How is Jaivon going to react to me being pregnant? Probably going to off me and my unborn child.

"Why is this happening to me?", I asked out loud.

"Why is what happening?", Essence asked, entering the bathroom. She looked down at the test and gasped. And for some dumb ass reason she looked excited.

"You're pregnant!", she yelled.

"Would you shut the fuck up? I don't need the whole house knowing".

"Is it Kane's?"

"You already know it's his".

"That's a good thing! Why do you look like you're hating this?"

"Maybe you're too busy playing dress up in the master bedroom, but your so-called man turned me into a prostitute and told me I owed him money. If I tell him I'm pregnant, he's going to kill me".

"I ... I didn't know he was going to make you sell your body".

"Do you know any of the things he does?"

"No".

"You do know he's married right?"

"The old bitch isn't important", she said then started fixing her hair in the mirror. Clearly this conversation is going to get nowhere so I turned to leave.

"Simmy, wait!"

I rolled my eyes and waited for Essence to catch up with me. I was on my way outside to throw this pregnancy test in the bigger trash can to eliminate anyone from seeing it. I can't take that chance. I honestly shouldn't have let Essence see it.

"What Ess?", I asked.

"Aren't you going to tell Kane?"

"Why would I do that?"

"He has a right to know".

"I tell him and then what? He comes here and tries to save the day then gets himself killed?"

"Well, that's his choice to make. You can't make it for him".

"Just like you made it for me?"

She said nothing, and I nodded. I threw the test in the dumpster then headed back into the house. Maybe she had a point. Not because I want him to save me, but just in case something happens to the baby he should know that something came out of our night of passion. I rushed into my bedroom and pulled out my cellphone. I never called it, but I had Kane's number stored in my phone from our New York trip. I took a deep breath and pressed the button for the number to dial. After a few rings I didn't think he'd answer, and then I heard his beautiful voice that made my pussy moist.

"Hello?"

I paused, scared of what he'd say. "Kane?"

"Simone?"

"Yeah, it's me".

"I am so sorry about how I treated you that day! I was just hurt and I ... I have no excuse".

"I know, it's fine".

"What happened? Did Jaivon hit you?"

First time I heard him address him by his name.

"He's making me prostitute".

There was silence on the phone then a loud thud.

"What was that?", I asked.

"I punched a wall".

"Why?"

"I should have saved you that day. I shouldn't have let him take you".

"Kane, I have something to tell you".

"What is it?"

"I'm... I'm pregnant".

It sounded like he let out all the air in his lungs. Nothing was said, we both were just sitting on the phone.

"Is it from what he has you doing?", he asked.

"No! I'm pregnant by you!"

"You're pregnant?", I looked up from sitting in the corner of my room and saw Jaivon was standing in the doorway. He had clearly overheard what I said.

"Is that him?", I heard Kane asked in the phone. I couldn't answer. My mouth was glued shut. He rushed in and slapped me across the face, making me drop the phone. I could've sworn I heard Kane yell he's coming for me, but the thought was ruined when Jaivon's fist was planted on my face again.

"I want my money bitch!", he yelled.

He grabbed me by my hair and grabbed one of my arms. He dragged me on the floor out of my room and down every step. I saw the scared face of Essence as I passed her in the kitchen. The amused face of Chavonne as I passed her in the dining room. Jaivon opened the basement door and dragged me down the steps. He tossed me in the corner and pulled on the string hanging from the ceiling. A small light lit up the room and he bent to put my wrist and ankles in shackles. My stomach was in so much pain, I just knew with him dragging my body down that he had killed the baby. He stood over me then slapped me again.

"You had the nerve to get pregnant by my son?"

"Jaivon, please", I begged.

"Please what?"

"It's your grandchild".

"I'm not claiming that bastrard! But what I will say is, I hope it's a girl. I can have her pick up and make the money you owe me".

He gave me that evil smile and walked away, leaving me alone and chained in this cold basement. I looked around, not even remembering Jaivon ever had this shit turned into a dungeon like scene. There were other shackles on the other side of the room, but it looked like it was blood stains surrounding them. I shivered in pain, not knowing what type of shit Jaivon does down here.

All I wanted to do was rub my stomach to try and soothe the pain. To tell my unborn child, that I hope was still living, that everything was going to be okay. That these next few months were going to be extremely rough, but I was going to make sure that they have the best life. Even if it's the last thing I do. For the first time, I understood the hurt my mother felt knowing I was in the system. Knowing that she couldn't take care of me like she wanted to. I know she hurt every day in that cell, only wanting to give me everything I needed. Here I am, in my own cell, with a growing fetus, and I have no idea how I will be able to do that exact same thing. All of this because I wanted to know who my father is. I was better off not knowing anything but his name. Living in those foster homes sounds so much better right now.

I heard the squeak of the basement door being opened again. I backed up to the clost corner and prepared myself. When I saw Essence with a bowl and a water bottle, I relaxed. She ran over to me and dropped to her knees in front of me. She stared at me with sorrow filled eyes and placed her hand on my stomach.

"I hope the baby is okay", she said.

"I do too".

"He told me I can tend to you until you have the baby".

"And he let you?"

She shrugged and placed the bowl in front of me. She rang out the rag that was inside and dabbed out my open wombs on my face. After she was done cleaning my face, and held the water bottle up to my mouth and let me drink. I knew in the back of my mind this was the only thing she felt was right for her to do. Leaving him alone would be better but she's too afraid. So, to make it up to me, she'll make sure nothing else comes my way. At least until the baby is born.