Chapter Four

I woke up in a panic, not recognizing where I was. When I heard Liz cursing and screaming I let out a sigh of relief. It took me a while to fall asleep last night, so much was going on. You would think these broads had some respect for folks trying to rest but it's clear now that they don't. This reminded me of the foster homes I was in, when nobody gave a damn about the next person. Only did what they wanted to do in the moment. I made a mental note to get a lock on my door as soon as possible. Ain't no telling what these hoes will and won't do.

I thought about sending my mother a letter to let her know I made it but decided against it. Her and I are both better off not speaking to each other. She doesn't have to worry about me and I don't have to think about her. Seems like a win-win to me. I don't need the extra weight on my shoulders.

I finally was able to get into the bathroom to take care of my own personal hygiene. There were thongs and lip gloss tubes everywhere and it made me more uncomfortable than I already was. Thank God, the tub was clean. I got in, washed the necessary parts, and hoped back out. I put on some sweats and a t shirt to lounge around in. Didn't see myself going anywhere any time soon. Maybe to get a job, but that can wait until after Liz answers a couple of my questions. Like what the fuck she has all these females running in and out of her house for. I jogged down the steps and found Liz in one of the living rooms, smoking a cigarette of course. She spotted me and motioned for me to come in. I walked further into the room and noticed Chavonne next to her. I don't know what it is about her, but something doesn't sit right with me. She looks like a snake, one of them con artist type of bitches. I barely knew her, and I already know I can't trust her. I can't trust anybody, not even Liz.

I sat down on the couch beside them. Liz offered me the cigarette she was smoking, and I shook my head, declining. Chavonne smirked then got up and walked out of the room.

"What is her problem?" I said out loud, when I meant to say it in my head.

"Who, Cha? She's just iffy about new people".

"But you told her I was family, right?"

"Family will turn on you too".

She gave me this look that vanished just as quick as it was displayed. She leaned forward and ashed her cigarette on the coffee table. She looked up at me and smiled like she did when I first got here.

"So, how did you sleep?"

"I slept good", I lied.

"The girls weren't making too much noise, were they?"

"Speaking of them, why are they all here? It's like you're running a shelter or something".

"I guess you can call it that".

"I'd rather call it what it is. So, what is it?"

She crossed her legs and leaned back further into the couch.

"I'm a madam".

"What's that?"

"Woman's equivalent to a pimp".

A pimp? What kind of shit have you gotten yourself into Simone?

"You look so stressed", she said with a hint of laughter.

"I just-"

"Don't worry sweetheart, I won't get you involved".

"Why do you do it?"

"Everybody's got a hustle, right?"

"My mother told me my father was a hustler".

Her smile got bigger at the mention of my father.

"Oh yes, he was one of the best I've seen in a while. Other than his father".

"Where is he?"

"Your father killed him".

What the fuck is up with my parents just killing people like it ain't shit? I'm starting not to like what I'm finding out about where I come from. What if I end up being a killer just like them?

"It isn't what it sounds like".

"Is anything ever what it sounds like?"

"Your father felt he was doing what needed to be done. His father killed his mother when he was just a little boy".

"My mother thought she was doing what was right too. Doesn't make it any less crazy".

She shrugged and picked up the box of cigarettes on the table and lit one of the sticks. She must go through a whole pack a day.

"Why did his father kill his mother?" I asked.

She looked at me out the corner of her eye. "Not sure, I didn't ask".

Yeah, she knew what the hell happened but that's enough crazy for me anyway. "So, what was your relation to my father?"

"His mother was my sister".

"And how did you feel about her being murdered?"

"Wasn't my problem at the time".

Holy fuck.

"Look, that was in the past and I'm looking towards the future now. I was pissed when I found out your bitch of a mother killed my nephew. My only nephew at that. People were here expecting him to come back after he took his happy ass to the city. And when he didn't he left a lot of money unattended. That's why I'm here, to keep this shit flowing. Yeah, it may be wrong for me to let our black women go out and sell their bodies. But at least I give them bitches a comfortable home to come to. Bills still gotta get paid".

What she was saying was crazy but at least she was honest. She felt she was doing what she had to do, and nobody can fault her for that. Not even me.

"Speaking of bills, you need a job".

"I was going to look for one eventually. Maybe a McDonalds or something small like that".

"Na baby girl, you won't be flipping no burgers".

"I'm not selling ass either".

"I believe I told you clear as day that I wasn't going to get you involved. But you are definitely going to do something that'll bring in some quick money".

"Like what?"

"Imma have Cha take you down to this club. I know the owner and he owes me a few favors".

"What kind of club?"

Suddenly Chavonne appeared back in the room and she had some clothes in her hand. She held up one piece that looked like it would barely cover anyone's body.

"Try this one on," Chavonne said to me.

"For what?" I asked.

"Cha works at the club. She's actually one of the best dancers".

"Dancers? You want me to be a stripper?"

"Yeah, I do".

"I'm not doing that shit!"

I angrily got up and tried to leave out of the room but Chavonne stood in my way.

"Listen bitch, I already don't like you and I just met you. I have no problem moving you the fuck out of my way", I said to her.

Chavonne stepped closer to me; so close I could feel her breath tickling my lips.

"I'd like to see you try ... bitch".

Before I could swing, Liz stood in between us and pushed Chavonne back.

"I told you I didn't want none of that shit Cha".

"She started with me".

"You sound like a fucking child".

Chavonne rolled her eyes and threw the clothes down on the floor next to the spot she was standing in. Liz turned to look at me and took a deep breath.

"Listen Simone, dancing at the club isn't that bad".

"How is objectifying myself not bad?"

"That's what's wrong with society, so quick to judge. I know dancers who bring home no less than two stacks a night".

I looked at her shocked. I never knew that.

"Yeah, you feel me now? Money like that, you can save and get the hell out of here then you won't have to worry about dancing anymore. You won't be in my house, so I don't give a fuck what you do".

I stepped back, considering what she said. If I dance my ass off for a month I can get more than enough to get out on my own. Hell, I can keep dancing for a year and really be set.

"So, what do you say?"

I gave her a half smile and bent to pick up the outfit Chavonne threw on the floor.

"I've never twirled around a pole before".

"Are you athletic?"

"I ran track".

"Good, so you have the stamina and the core. Cha can teach you technique. She has a pole downstairs in the basement".

I rolled my eyes.

"Be nice, or I'll break my foot in both y'all asses".