Chapter Six

I looked in the mirror, trying to decide if I wanted to wear my natural hair or one of my performance wigs. Both my mother and father must've had the best hair because my curls were flawless. Jaivon sees me as Sasha however, so maybe I should keep up with the facade.

"You almost ready?" Liz said, coming into my room. She sat down on my bed a lit a cigarette, waiting on my answer. She knew I hated the smell of those things, but I wasn't in the best position to tell her to put it out.

I never confronted her about the money situation. Mostly because I had no proof if it was her or not. Even if it was one of these nasty tricks around here, it's nothing Liz could do about it. Not like she's going to give the money back to me, especially now with this Jaivon scheme going on. All she sees is dollar signs when she looks at me. Not sure she sees me as family anymore.

The thought of family made me think about what Chavonne said about me having a sister. No one, not even Hazel cared enough to mention the shit to me.

"I have a sister?" I asked Liz. She hesitated then took a long pull of her cigarette.

"Where did you hear that from?"

"Chavonne, when I first moved here".

She shook her head. "Imma fuck Cha up".

"What? Is it a secret or something?"

"It's not a secret, not that I'm aware of. You two's mothers didn't particularly care for each other. I'm sure whatever beef they had is what kept you two apart".

"And you met her?"

She smiled. "Oh yes, very intelligent little girl. It's a shame what happened to her mother".

"What happened to her mother?"

"She was murdered, right in her living room I hear".

I don't even know this sister of mine and already I feel bad for her. Hazel wasn't in my life, but I was still be hurt if something had happened to her. I had the urge to reach out to my sister but there would be no point. If she's anything like me then she's going to be wondering why the fuck I even care if I don't know her. In these tough times though, I wish I did. To have somebody on your side that you can relate to. Closest thing I had to that was Essence, and who knows where she is now.

"What's her name?" I asked Liz.

"Faith".

"He's here Mama!" one of the girls called from downstairs.

"You ready to do this?"

"Do I have a choice?"

Liz put her hand on my shoulder and squeezed lightly. She almost looked apologetic.

"I don't want you to feel like I'm treating you badly. I'm just trying to show you it's hard out in these streets. You need to have a hustle and make sure your ass is covered".

"What if I didn't want this life?"

"You had no choice. It runs through your veins. You were born to be a hustler. However you decide to hustle is on you. Now, go poke those titts in that man's face and bring home a check".

********************************

I sat across from Jaivon awkwardly. I did everything Liz told me to do, even down to my outfit. I put on the jeans that hugged me the best, and a shirt that showed enough cleavage, and my makeup was done better than I've ever done it before. None of that seems to be a factor, because he isn't acting like he appreciates any of it. He hasn't looked down at my chest one time, and if he has, I haven't noticed. He's too busy rambling on about himself and how much he's changed this city.

"Hello? Earth to Sasha".

I snapped out of the daydream I was in and looked at him. "What did you just call me?"

"I know Sasha is your stage name but it's not like you've told me anything about yourself".

Because your ass didn't give me the chance to. "My name is Simone".

"That's a beautiful name. Do you know who Nina Simone is?"

Hell no, but I didn't want him to know that. "Yes", I lied.

"Her music was amazing. She had a way to communicate through music. I guess that's something you two have in common".

"You think stripping is a way of communicating?"

"Do you not want people to see a certain thing while you dance?"

"Yes, but-"

"Exactly! That's what I meant when I said I see something in you. You don't even see it yourself".

I leaned forward in the chair and rested my chin on my hand. "What do you want from me?"

"What makes you think I want something?"

"Because every man wants something".

"I just want to get to know you".

I wasn't convinced. I know Liz wants me to finesse him but shit I need him to give me more than what he's giving me. I can't do shit with just a dinner date. If that's the case, it's been plenty of high rollers that have come in the club who had a thing for me. She wants him specifically, so I need him to try a little harder.

"I didn't know much about you, so I did a little research".

"How? Nobody knows me".

"I asked Liz".

"And what did you come up with?"

He smiled then abruptly got up from the table. I don't know what the hell he think this is but I am two seconds away from walking out of this door and going home. Liz is just going to have to be mad. I collected my things and got ready to get up from the table.

"Hey Simmy".

I turned around in the chair I was sitting in and looked at no one other than Essence. It had been so long since I saw her, I almost didn't recognize her. She damn sure grew out of that little kid body and hit puberty. I don't know who dress she had on, but the shit made her look older than what I knew she was. She always had long hair, but it wasn't as full as it is now. Maybe she got some extensions, or some shit. Either way, she was flawless.

Her and Jaivon sat down at the table, and I still couldn't control my shock.

"How did you find her?" I asked him.

"Well, I asked Liz a little about you, like I said before. She told me you were down here from a foster care in New York. I made a few phone calls, and someone told me about Essence".

"How would you have known who to call without knowing my name?"

"I knew what your name was".

"But you just said you didn't".

"I don't want to sound creepier than I already do by telling you I want to give you another life".

I still wasn't convinced, but he was winning me over more than I thought he would have.

"Why did you do this?"

"To show you I mean no harm. I talked to Essence on the phone and she told me how close you two are. I know this life is lonely, it's good to have somebody in your corner. And maybe if you see Essence can trust me, you'll be able to trust me too".

Well, Essence is a dumb ass, but it's a start. I reached across the table and grabbed onto Essence's hand. She squeezed mine and started smiling at me again.

"Where are you going to be staying?" I asked her.

Surely, she can't stay at Liz house with me. I would love it, but I know Essence would get sucked right into the bull shit. she's the only pure thing I have left in my life. I don't want to mess that up.

"That's another thing I was thinking about", Jaivon said. "Why don't you two stay at my place?"

"I don't think Liz would be okay with that," I lied. Liz would choke on the cigarette she is smoking on if I told her this shit.

"I have more than enough room. You can have your own bedroom and anything else you'll need. That way, you'll never have to be apart again".

I looked from Essence to Jaivon and back to Essence again. I know she went through a lot to get down here and if I know what I know, she was having just as hard as a time in the city as I was. I can't turn her around now and send her back to that. This might be the best thing that has ever happened to us. She needs this more than I do. So, if it means selling my ass to this old man to secure her safety, then so be it.

"I'll have to go get some of my things first".

Essence's smile got bigger and she hauled down the waiter.

"I'll have a glass of your finest merlot, please" she said, batting her eyelashes at Jaivon.

Well, I'll be damned.