Chapter Eight

It's been a week since Jaivon asked us to make the drop. We haven't stopped making drops for him yet. Every day it was more and more baggies, not it's full on packages. The club we deliver to is high end in a way. Not too many hood niggas come through here, mostly uppity white folks. If you do see a dealer, he's in the back handling shit other than drugs. I tried calling Liz to see if she can get me out of this but every time, Chavonne answers and tells me she can't talk. That bitch still doesn't sit right with me. She could have Liz tied to one of the beds in there and I would never know. Here I am again, worried about the people who's done me wrong just because they're family.

Jaivon had us dress to blend in. Wigs with bangs so it would kind of cover our faces and tight dresses that would have the men's attention on our asses instead of our assets. Essence was more into the job then I was, always wondering off to get into more shit. Dealing drugs became more difficult than what it needed to be because of her. Felt like I was watching a toddler.

"We should order a drink", Essence said to me in my ear, so I could hear her over the music.

I looked at her sideways. "We're here on business not personal".

"So, that means we can't get a drink?"

"You're not even old enough to drink, Essence".

"You're starting to sound more like a mom than my best friend".

"And you're becoming more and more like a child. We're in this shit because of you, remember? So, do the fucking job"

"Fuck this, I'm getting a drink".

She got up from the couch we were sitting on and strutted away from me in the heels of mine she knew she couldn't walk in. I tried to get her to wear a pair that was more fitting, but Jaivon saw her try on the other pair and by his face, he approved. Lately, he's been looking at Essence like he wanted to take her soul out of her pussy hole and Essence is stupid enough to let him. Shit, if they wanna bang each other so bad, why the fuck am I still involved?

I shook my head and decided it was enough waiting. Jaivon would tell us to sit in the club for a little, try to look like we're enjoying ourselves. Guess Essence took heed of that more than I did.

I walked to the back of the club and knocked on one of the back doors twice. I heard someone call for me to come in, so I turned the knob and walked inside unnoticed. I sat the briefcase on the desk and sat down across from the person giving me my money. The room was barely lit, and I could barely see the person I was dealing with. I didn't need to see them though. The sooner and I can get out of here the better.

"Everything is all there", I said to him.

"Simone?"

That voice sounded oddly familiar. The man leaned forward, and I was able to notice his face.

"Tyreik?"

"What the hell are you doing here?"

Before I could answer, he got up and grabbed me by my arm, pulling me out of the room. I pulled me until we were at the exit in the back of the club. I snatched my arm away, not knowing what he thought he was about to do.

"Simone, come on".

"Where are we going?"

"I'm getting you the fuck out of here!"

"I can't. I-"

He grabbed me by my hand and pulled me out of the door and my heels clicked loudly, echoing in the alley. We got to a red Bugatti and stopped. He opened the passenger side door for me and I slid onto the seat. He ran to get in on the driver's side, screeching the tires on the pavement as he drove off from the club.

Tyreik drove in silence until we got to what I'm assuming is his place. He helped me out of the car and up the steps to his front door. I couldn't help the feeling of paranoia, and I kept looking over my shoulder. He opened the front door and let me in. His house felt like home. I don't know what it was, but it gave me a feeling that I've never felt before. It was something genuine and I liked how it felt.

I sat down on the couch and Tyreik came in to join me soon after. He handed me a t shirt and pants to put on and a pair of his slides, so I can get out of these heels. I changed in the bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror. I snatched the wig off and threw some warm water on my face. I felt embarrassed, like I got caught doing some shit by my father. Come to think of it, Tyreik is the closest thing to my father I have.

I walked back into the living room and found him sitting in the recliner, flipping through the channels. I sat back in the spot I was in and nervously cleared my throat.

"This is a nice place you have here".

"I found it when I first got here".

He turned towards me and looked at me disapprovingly.

"Simone, what have you gotten yourself into?"

"I just-"

"Your father did a lot of shit, but I know he didn't do all of this for you to get sucked in".

"I'm not sucked in".

"So, what you doing selling dope?"

"I ... I was working the poles and this guy-"

"I thought you was staying with your aunt. She let you do that shit?"

"Liz said that I needed a hustle".

"Liz? You talking about Liz with the whore house".

"That's the one".

"No idea she was your aunt".

"Yeah, so was working the poles and met this guy named Jaivon. He let me, and my friend Essence stay with him".

"Jaivon? Older guy?"

"Yeah, you know him?"

"Know him? Jaivon is-"

Suddenly, the door was kicked open, startling me and making me scream. Tyreik quickly dashed behind the recliner and reappeared with a gun. Before he could cock it, a man came through with a shotgun, killing Tyreik right where he stood. I watched his body fall as if it was slow motion. He fell lifeless before me, eyes connecting right with mine. I felt my stomach turning and I knew I was about to throw up. I never seen a dead body before in my life and I damn sure didn't want it to be Tyreik's.

"Ah, there you are, love".

Jaivon came through the threshold, looking at Tyreik in disgust. He looked up at my shocked face and gave me that sinister smile he always has. His eyes were burning with rage and I wasn't sure what he was going to do to me this time.

"Where were you running off to, hm?"

"I was just ... I wasn't-"

"It's fine, love. Come on now, we have a lot of work to do"

He reached his hand out and I took it out of fear. He led me to his black GMC and opened the door for me, just like Tyreik had just done. He slid in beside me and his driver backed up out of the driveway and continued down the street.

"You must never do that again Simone, do you understand?"

"I didn't mean-"

"Do you understand?" he said, raising his voice a little. I could feel his eyes burning into me through the darkness.

"Yes, I understand".

"Good".

"He ... he was like family to me".

"I'm sorry love, but he had to be eliminated out of the equation".

"Why?"

"You make me money. I'm not letting anyone come in between that ... not even you".

His words sent a cold chill down my spine. I turned to look out of the window, more scared for my life now than I ever was.

"Listen, I'm not the bad guy here".

Yeah, sure. He touched my hand and I flinched.

"My reckless days are long gone. I'm no longer that type of hustler. But my name still holds fear in these streets and I'm not to be fucked with. As long as you're with me, nobody will fuck with you either. You'll never have to be scared".

It's not the streets that I'm afraid of. It's him.