Chapter 6: Settling In

Hi there everyone. So sorry for not updating but I haven't had any internet access. I have however finished my other book, My Heart in Words. If you're looking for something motivational or inspiring, go ahead and read my poetry. Truly hope you enjoy it. 

I would really appreciate some feedback from everyone out there who is reading this. Just so that I know if this story is going down the right track or if it turning out to be monotonous. 

VOTE - COMMENT - FAN 

****************************************************************************************************************

I had been at the hospital for a week already but we haven't started treatment yet. It was getting somewhat boring. Get up in the mornings, tests, lunch, rest, fitness, dinner and the free time until it was lights out. We lived for that lights out time every evening; that was when we got to hang out. Except for Wednesday night, Belinda and I had somehow broken a vending machine and bunked our fitness to "hide" the evidence. The nurses struggled to catch two teenage girls on a sugar rush. 

 In this week I had also been introduced to the other two volunteers. The youngest of all of us was the young boy that had shocked me on day one. His name was Trevor and he was the sweetest 8 year old I had ever met. The other guy who was 24 years old, turned out to fill both the roles of big brother and of our "dad." His name was Gavin and he was a ball of life. His energy just didn't seem to run out and he even tired us out from time to time. As cheesy as it sounds, we found comfort in our small group.

Screw three, we were the four musketeers. Or so Trevor tells us. Gavin had the new Three Musketeers movie on his laptop. The four of and some trainee nurses watched this in the break room one evening on the projector screen. I had no idea a hospital had a break room! I suppose even doctors get together at the water cooler to discuss medical stuff and laugh about the things people laugh about at water coolers. Gosh, I've been watching way too much TV.

Now, it's Sunday evening and we're helping Trevor decorate his room. All week he's had us older ones helping him draw pictures and make pretty little decorations. Even though I had zero artistic ability, Trev insisted that my pictures were pretty.

"Mmm, no. That one needs to be higher. Be, please tape that one on the back of the door." Trevor was ordering us about his room while he stood on his bed and watched us with a stern expression on his adorable little face. His room was already so full of teddy bears and cards from his friends and from his school. His mother visited him often too and each time she brought him something; either a teddy or one of his toys from home. His grandma even knitted him a blanket which he refused to sleep without it.

 "Hey guys, it's eight and Trev needs to go to sleep now." Nina was our favorite nurse by far. She was young enough to be able to talk to really easily but also old enough to be mature and comforting. "But Neeeeeennnaaa." Every night Trev would try bending the rules but Nina would win every time. It was amusing to watch sometimes.

"Trevvy, you need to sleep. Tomorrow is a big day, for everyone actually." She tucked in the child while the three of us said goodnight to Trevor and left him to sleep in peace but we knew that his debate with Nina would not be over yet.   

When Nina bent over to pull the covers snugly under Trevor's chin, he hugged and held onto he neck not allowing her to stand up. She stood beside his bed hunched over while he giggle uncontrollably and hung on for dear life.

I walked down the corridor to my room after I said goodnight to Belinda and Gavin. Tomorrow really was a big day for all of us; it was the day we got our test results.

 I opened my laptop and looked at the time. The girls should be on Skype waiting for me.

Almost as soon as I went online, I got the invite to video chat. Gosh I missed my best friends.

"AAAAH! She lives you guys! Hey there pretty." I couldn't help laugh at Caitlin. The rest of the girls quickly crowded the small web cam.

"Haha, hey pretties. You know, I can see you guys just fine, no need to shove your nose in the camera, uh-hem, Jen." We all laughed like it was old times as Jen blushed and quickly retreated.

"So, what's happening there? Have they turned you into a lab rat!?" Jess faked fainting into Rachel's unsuspecting arms.

"Oh no, does it show? Have I totally mutated?" I pulled the gasping hand pose and we all laughed at the memories behind that fake gasp.

We were at the mall one Saturday and we say three really cute guys not too far away. When we got close enough we started gasping and swooning and repeating, "EMBLEM THREE! WE LOVE YOU." The boys were shocked to say the least. What we didn't see happening was that a small group of younger girls ran up to them asking for autographs and complimented them on the brilliant disguises.  We laughed for hours afterwards...

"But never mind me, what's happening there at you guys' end of the world?" I knew this would set them off on a talking spree and I was right. We stayed until nearly midnight sharing stories. They told me all about how John on the basketball team had been caught using supplements and about how Gina had totally cheated on Chet with Grant. Even though these people were of no significance to me or to the story I'm telling you, I still listened to my friends none the less. They got so caught up in the gossip and their faces were so animated, it made me happy to see them doing so well.

I woke that Monday ready for another week. Last night was like a breath of fresh air for me and now I was ready. I walked into the breakfast room, which was actually just the hospital cafeteria, only to see that I was the last one there. Gavin, Belinda and Trevor were already sitting down at a table eating some breakfast muffins.

"Welcome, to the magical place that feeds us." "Good morning to you too Gavin." He smiled a toothy smile but it turned out to be more of a display of the food that he had been eating. "Eew, that is so gross. The poor girl still wants breakfast, don't ruin her appetite. Seriously Gavin, I'm going to gag." Be was so easily grossed out it was crazy. Trevor started laughing and I couldn't help laugh with as Be tried to force Gav's mouth shut. I'm happy she did it because his breakfast was becoming one with the table top. Not the best thing to see early in the morning.

I grabbed an apple and ate it before we had to leave so that Dr Swan could tell us what the plans were regarding the outcome of our test results. The nerves that built up among us were crazy, even Trev felt it.

"Manda, do you think it will be good news?"

I honestly had no idea but when he held my hand and looked up at me with those puppy dog eyes, I couldn't show him I was just as scared as he was.

"Yeah, the results will show us how we can help people sicker than us." I said with what I hoped was an encouraging smile. Deep down my heart was thumping so loud I could feel the beat in my ears. I was holding Trevor's small hand in mine because it helped me just as much as it helped him. I didn't want anyone to know, but I was so scared. These next few hours were going to determine our futures and I don't think I'm ready to have my fate sealed.

*************************************************************************************************************

Hey everyone.

VOTE * COMMENT * FOLLOW