Chapter 9 - Picnic

Liam stopped about five feet from the water, and sat down on the ground with crossed legs, his mannerisms resembling that of an excited child.  As Niall took off his shoes and proceeded to join, Liam unzipped the duffel bag. As soon as you could hear the metal of the zipper release it’s tight grasp, the scent’s strength grew in multitudes.  Niall mentally licked his lips, too self-conscious to do it openly.  Inside the duffel was nothing fancy really; there were simply some utensils and plates thrown in, with a couple brown bags with a label on them, reading ‘Nandos.’ Niall saw this label and his heart leapt just a little too strongly, causing Niall to do this awkward and somewhat embarrassing twitch that luckily Liam could not see due to his attention on unpacking the bag.

“I know it’s nothing special but it was short notice, I hope you like it!” Liam said hopefully.

“I haven’t had Nandos in weeks! Believe me, you couldn’t have chosen anything better. How did you get it inside your house though?” Niall asked, genuinely curious.

“Well, I texted a friend of mine who works there, he has a spare key because he lived with me for a couple months a long while back. So I just told Josh to set it on the table and I’d pay him back next time I can.” Liam explained.

“Then you ran upstairs and threw it inside the bag along with other common picnic things.” Niall stated, piecing it together in his head.

“Now stop trying to be all ‘Sherlock Holmes’ and take a seat and eat with me!” Liam said as he opened the first brown bag.  As Niall sat down, Liam put a plate in front of both himself and Niall.  He then proceeded to give utensils even though he wasn’t entirely sure if they were going to be used.

Liam took the food out of the bags and began putting them onto the plates, as Niall just watched, practically drooling as each new item came into sight.  Of course, there was the Peri-Peri chicken, sending both of their stomachs in all directions at once, just at the sight of it.  That wasn’t it though, because out came some Veggie Wraps, along with a little bit of Mixed Leaf Salad and fries.  The streams of fancy foods were then cancelled as Liam took out a two litre bottle of Coca-Cola and a couple plastic cups.

“I know it ruins the pattern but I didn’t really have anything better, I also brought a couple juice boxes,” Liam said apologetically.

“Don’t worry it’s a good thing you didn’t. I swear if I saw you pull out wine I would not know what to say, at least this way we can talk without me being at a loss for words,” Niall replied.  Liam reached back into the bag and pushed the bottle of wine he had hidden at the bottom further out of sight as he blushed. It was going to be a surprise but now he was second guessing himself.

“Yeah,” Liam laughed awkwardly. “It would be better if you could talk, as long as you don’t talk with your mouth full, believe me I don’t want to see that,” Liam said, cutting through his awkward emotions with some humour. Niall chuckled a little at the joke, but it was hardly worthy of much more.

“I’m too much of a gentleman to do that!” Niall stated as he dramatically stuck out his tongue toward Liam.

“Yes, you are such a gentleman,” Liam said, sarcasm laced into each word. “Let’s just enjoy this picnic shall we!”