Chapter 8 - Journey

The two of them set off on the road and though it was very short, it wasn’t quite silent, excluding a couple sounds of Liam’s vibrating phone as he was texting someone quite rapidly.

“Oh c’mon Liam please tell!” Niall begged, for the fifth time in a minute.

“It ruins the fun for me. I’ll give you a hint, we’re going back.” Was his reply.  Back where though? Niall had no idea.

“Okay, but back where?”

“Oi, no more questions! Besides, you’ve been so focused that we passed my building two blocks ago…”

“Oh, sorry,” Niall muttered as he circled back around to the building.  The following 30 seconds were completely silent. When they were parked across the street Liam unbuckled himself. As Niall tried to do the same Liam piped up.

“Haha, not quite! Oh I’m enjoying this, I’ll be back in a minute, wait here! Try not to miss me too much.” After Liam had crossed the street, Niall mumbled to himself.

“Harder than I thought it would be.” 

Niall decided to take this time to just relax and settle; after all he was kind of alarmed at the discovery of his own feelings.  He decided that he would talk to the one person he could later, to help him out.  Niall sat in the silence, trying not to let himself get pulled into random thoughts by keeping himself occupied on his phone, playing some pointless, free, and addictive app.  It was about ten minutes before his attention was pulled away from his phone by a knocking on the window of his car. He looked towards the sound’s origin and saw a grinning Liam, and that was the last time for a while he even thought about his feelings, because he just let life plays its role in what happens, and not bother to worry about such a trivial thing. 

“What would you do if I never let you in?” Niall asked Liam, through the window, making it sound somewhat muffled. Liam was currently locked outside the car with a duffel bag.

“Oh but you wouldn’t do that, because then you’ll never know what’s in this bag,” Liam said, his basic grin turning into a toothy smile, knowing that Niall would give in.

“This is not a very fun game,” Niall replied, laughing and unlocking the doors. Immediately Liam climbed in and placed the duffel bag at his feet.  The scent of the car went from average to the smell of food. That was when Niall clued in… a little. 

“Oh I get it, a picnic?” Niall asked.

“Yes and no, cooler than a normal picnic, but in essence, yes, a picnic.”

“No basket for the food? So you use a duffel bag?”

“It’s not my fault; I haven’t actually been on a picnic in forever, so I haven’t had the need for one.  The only times I ever had one were with my family, which there’s one at our place in Wolverhampton. So I improvised!”

“Your idea of an improvisation breaks rule number one of all picnics, are you ashamed?”