Part 16

"Zayn, I have a question." Niall said three days later when they were in the library having lunch.

"Yeah?"

"Do you think Liam and I could ever be something?"

Zayn swallowed his food and looked at him. "What made you ask that? Do you like him?"

Niall looked down and wiped at his pants. "I'm not sure."

"Then why are you asking that question?"

"He came up to me today."

"So him coming up to you made you question if you two could ever be something?"

"No. He told me again and I'm freaking out."

"What did he tell you?"

"That he liked me."

As much as Zayn thought it would be weird to see Niall and the guy who terrorized him for three straight years together, he didn't totally despise it. "So what are you freaking out for?"

"Because I'm not sure what kind of person he really is. I don't know him that well like you do. And people that know him from past years have been saying he's not himself lately. If the real him is the guy who wants to be the center of attention all the time- the one I've seen- then I'm not sure if I want that.

"Yeah. They're right. I suppose he has changed a bit." Zayn said quietly. But he had seen the real Liam and knew he changed a lot. The real Liam was the one who broke down at his feet on the side of the school building. The Liam that wanted to be known was the one who was putting on a facade.

Even though it was something Niall should probably know now that he was having thoughts about liking Liam, Zayn still hadn't told him that Liam was thinking about suicide or that he tried cocaine. But he didn't want to either. No one should know what happened between him and Liam, but him and Liam. Even if Niall was still curious about why he invited him over in the first place, knowing they weren't good friends. But if Niall were to find out one day, it had to be that LIam told him. Not Zayn. 

"Well I'm not sure what's wrong." Niall said. "But I think he needs to get it together. Because I have noticed that Louis has been distant from him. Maybe he's too high to notice, but he's about to lose a friend."

Zayn shook his head. "He won't lose Louis. Trust me. They've been friends since day one. They do almost everything together."

"Really?"

He nodded.

"Oh wow. I didn't know that. Maybe Liam should quickly get his shit together then."

Zayn mustered up a halfhearted smile. "Yeah. He should."

Thinking about Louis ignoring Liam made Zayn so sad. Liam really needed to open up to his best friend because that was the only way he was going to know. Sure, Louis called him stupid when he found out about the cocaine but he was sure there was no way he would have said that if he knew Liam was thinking about suicide. He would have tried to help him instead.

With that being said, there also had to be a reason for the thoughts of suicide as well. This wasn't something that just came up to come up. He wasn't trying cocaine just for fun and he wasn't cursing at the teachers just because he wanted to. Something was going on in his life that was much deeper than just wanting to be rebellious. And whatever it was, it was serious enough to keep away from his best friend.

→→→→→→

Zayn only had a small get togther for his birthday. Honestly, he didn't want anything. But his mother insisted he invite some friends over since he was turning eighteen. Zayn ended up inviting Harry, Anne, Gemma, Niall and Peter.