News Salad: Sports

• Dedicated to crazy football fans

Sports:

Sports! Now the only thing that pops into our mind about sports this month is football. Yes, we are talking about the Fifa Cup 2014 which is held after every 4 years. (Now even if you are not a sports fan, or as put precisely a football fan, you would still be aware of this extremely important sports event because of the google doodles. We find them really amusing and they change every day!) The Fifa Cup 2014 is being held in Brazil this time which is home to football as its national sport while the footballs used are made in Pakistan. Fifa started in the last days of June and is carried out into July. The event had already gathered up heat even before it had started, but the real fun started with the matches. The series of matches began with Brazil vs. Croatia and Brazil secured victory. More matches followed, but what got everyone on their toes was the match between Spain and Netherlands where Netherlands wiped the field with Spain- the former Fifa champion winning with a four goal lead.  The matches continued with Spain, England, France, Japan and USA already knocked out of the tournament. What a shame!

As if they crowd had not seen enough, the next notable disaster struck towards the very end in the match between Brazil and Germany. With their most important man injured, the Brazilians decided to charged head first but their attacks were merely a tickle to the other team, so much so that Germany managed to score seven freakin’ goals in one match. Well that was all the pride of the Brazilian football team. Tchau to Brazil. The match between Netherlands and Argentina was more or less mind blowing-ly boring until the end where Netherlands who beat the former Fifa champion lost and the finals was decided. The finale was played between Germany and Argentina where the whole event ended with 1-0. Germany crowned as the new champion. Finally, everyone can do back to work now, chop chop!

 Moving on, we must take our spotlight towards the football players themselves who never cease to entertain us. Luis Suárez, you have got a nice set of teeth there; who would have thought the bite would leave marks, huh?  Truly, this year Fifa proves to be quite an extravaganza for us.