[29] just friends

Bree just stares at me, dazed by my previous question

Bree just stares at me, dazed by my previous question. I look anywhere but her face, because it's getting awkward.

"You want to be friends again?" It's nothing but a question. No emotion, no anger, no disbelief, no happiness. It's just a question.

"I'm sorry, Bree. I messed up," I admit, tapping my fingers against my legs.

"So did I," She says with absolute clarity. "But I don't wish it were any different." I stare at her, slowly mulling over what she just said.

"What?" She shakes her head.

"I don't wish we were friends, Kendra. I still-I...I just don't want to, okay? My life's been perfect these past few weeks. I don't need you to come around and mess it up." I stare at her, my eyes wide. I put my hands on my hips and scoff.

"Well, damn. I tried, Bree. I guess there's nothing else to do now." She snorts, rolling her eyes, annoyance plastered all over her face; her narrowed eyes, her lips pulled into a frown, her perfect eyebrows drawn together.

"Yeah, guess so."

"Bye," I say as casually as possible, walking back over to my table.

"I'd ask you how it went," Archer says, watching me as I sit down. "But judging by-well- everything that just happened, I'm not even gonna ask." I bite the inside of my cheek and dig through my lunch.

"Well, yeah. She told me she didn't want me to ruin her life."

"Ouch."

"Correct." I say, coming up with a sandwich and a container full of pineapple slices.

"Well, there's nothing left for me to do," I say, unwrapping my sandwich. "I apologized, I asked her if she wanted to be my friend again, and she said no. Case closed. Thanks for coming everyone. You can go home now, buh' bye." Archer laughs.

"Well someone's salty."

I shrug.

"Like you said, you did what you could. She said no. That's okay." I bite my lip and rip a piece of my sandwich apart.

We fall into a comfortable silence for a few minutes, both of us caught up in the whirlwind of our own thoughts.

I'm shoving pineapple slices in my mouth when he breaks the silence.

"Did she say anything about still liking you?" He says quickly. I roll my eyes, chewing on the multiple slices I just shoved down my throat.

"She's got a girlfriend and yet you still find a way to be jealous," I laugh, sticking my fork in my container. "You've hit a new low." He just laughs.

"Well, sorry." I laugh.

"Apology accepted."

"I was being sarcastic.