[27] thy wise one has enlightened thee

"Nothing at all happened, right?" I roll my eyes at this

"Archer, you have asked me this every five minutes. I am getting tired of hearing it. Nothing happened, okay?" He nods, running his hand through his hair.

"I just don't think it's right that he's in the...the same room as you," he says, his tone full of exasperation. "It just doesn't make sense. How do I know he's not gonna do anything to you?"

"Woah," I laugh, trying to brush off his question, "overprotective much?" He sighs.

"Well, I don't know. But that's not being overprotective. That's being remarkably concerned." I sigh, and try to keep a straight face as I look at him. He shakes his head, but I can see he's trying not to laugh.

"I don't think anyone's ever used the words remarkably and concerned in the same sentence," I say. He's laughing now. It's contagious.

We reach the lunchroom, and when we're in a ten foot radius of Brandon and his friends, Archer takes my hand. I roll my eyes at the cringe, but my heart is thumping.

We reach our table. I almost sit down, but my focus is torn when I see two people sitting in our seats, only right next to each other, so close their shoulders are touching. I raise an eyebrow, trying to remember who they are as the girl notices me, her pale blue eyes searching my face.

I have a feeling I've seen them around, in the hallways, outside during gym.

Both of them look incredibly tired, and I feel sympathetic on a level I can't quite decipher. Both of them have dark bags under their eyes, and the girl looks ready to drop onto the table. I try not to quirk an eyebrow when I notice the guy is wearing extremely bright clothes, all of which say "Shady Side Hotel".

"Um, hey," I say as softly as possible. "Sorry, this is our table." The guy notices me and trades glances with the girl, his dark brown eyes wavering. She shakes her head and they get up quietly.

"Oh, no it's okay." I say. "You could just move over." I say, watching as they scoot over. I sit across form Archer, still trying to remember them. The girl, I recognize. Abigail, the girl from detention, but she wasn't there. I wonder why. Does she like to break the rules?

I look at the guy. I remember seeing her with another guy, who was dark skinned, while the guy staring back at me right now is just tan.

"What's your name?" I say gently, trying to be friendly.

"Elijah," he says quietly.

"Abigail," she says. Even though I already knew that, I smile.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Kendra." Abigail nods and looks down.

"Hey, haven't I seen you around?" I ask, looking at Abigail. "I mean, you know."

"Yeah..." she mumbles.