[1] popular

"Oh my God, Kendra, Brandon totally likes you!"

I turn around to be greeted by Bree, her black hair curled and resting on her shoulders. Her makeup is perfect; smoky eyeshadow, perfectly winged eyeliner, and dark red matte lipstick. She's wearing a tight black shirt and a short skirt. A very short skirt.

I shut my locker. "How do you know?"

"Well, Rach told me that Shea told her that her brother Vinny asked Brandon and he said yes!" She squeals. I suppress a sigh. She's so basic. I don't even want to know how much of this she's learned from Mean Girls.

I'm basic too, though, so I'm not one to talk. But the thing is, she likes being basic, and I don't. I only stay in the popular group, clad in crop tops and short shorts, because I know I would be made fun of for leaving, maybe even bullied once I'm off the A-squad ( the most popular popular group) and I don't want that to happen. Plus, I feel like Bree needs me, strange enough, so I act like I'm enjoying being me.

"I can't believe he likes me! Should I talk to him?" I say, hiding my exasperation. She considers this, scrunching her eyebrows together. It makes her look even prettier, which baffles me. The last time I did that, someone came up to me and asked if I was okay.

"No, make him beg if he really likes you." I try not to throw up at this. I just reenter my combo and put on my seventh layer on lipgloss. I'm not wearing much makeup today, just the basics, nothing extra. I pull my shirt down a little and flatten my shorts. I try not to dress like Bree or the A-squad, but sometimes I have no choice. Today I'm wearing a dark green shirt and black shorts with converse. I thought I looked okay, or at least a little hot, but the A-squad iced me out today, everyone except for Bree. I guess it's back to skirts and tank tops tomorrow.

"Let's get to Spanish. We're totally gonna be late." Bree says, pulling me with her.

"Whatever."

When the bell rings, the tip of my shoe is in the room. That counts, I think. I mentally fist-pump when I see there's a sub, rushing into my seat to pretend like I've been there all along.

The only problem is the sub radiates an "I eat children in my soup" kind of vibe. Fun.

"Right. Let's take attendance. You, pull your shorts down. I don't want to see all that." She points to Kit, who sits next to me, unfortunately. She rolls her eyes and pulls them down until they just brush the bottom of her butt.

Kit is the most popular girl in school. I may be like the eighth or ninth, but I'm still pretty high up there. Probably just because I can be pretty when I try. But compared to Kit, I stand no chance.