Chapter Fifteen

It was part of the plan.

Tori was taken willingly to the Chancellor’s office. This time, she was taking matters into her own hands, however, now standing in front of the man she had accidentally blinded, she was having sudden doubts. What if Jade’s plan didn’t work? What if they were stuck in Yerbanian jail for the rest of their lives!? She was too young to have a prison sentence! There was no way she’d become a pop singer now. Not with a jail record on her head!

“So, you admit that you attacked my eye on porpoise?” Tori frowned at the mispronunciation of the word.

“Yes,” Tori said trying to scratch her face but failing because her hands were handcuffed together. “Yes, I attacked your eye on… porpoise.”

“I told you this! I told you all that she did this on porpoise!” the Chancellor exclaimed waving his arms in the opposite direction to where his men were standing. Tori hid a giggle that was threatening to erupt.

“And, to apologize,” Tori continued. “Me and my friends and the other prisoners would like to perform a song tomorrow night. For you, your family and any other Yerbanians that you would like to invite.” She gave a fake, overly cheerful smile while on the inside, her heart was pounding. She couldn’t help but wish Jade was by her side. At least then, the butterflies in her stomach wouldn’t be so bad. The Chancellor appeared to study Tori (of course he wasn’t-he was blind) and leant his hands on the desk.

“Why do you want this?”

Tori tried to respond but the guard keeping her still was suddenly touching her hair. She refrained from punching the irritating man in the face. “Uh, just to apologize and… quit it!” she snapped at the guard who let go immediately. Tori gave him a glare before continuing. God, why were the people in Yerba so freaking weird!? “And to honor you. I mean, wouldn’t you like to see a great American performance?”

“See what!” the Chancellor yelled. Tori flinched. “You punctured my last working eye! All I see is black-nothing!” The man’s hands were waving everywhere.

“Please!” Tori begged. “Let us show you how sorry we are for blinding you and for murdering your octopus!” There was silence as Tori pleaded with the man. This had to work. There was no other way.

“…Okay.” Tori squealed with relief, jumping up and down and accidentally stomping on one of the guards’ feet.

“I am so sorry!” Tori exclaimed as the man groaned and grabbed at his injured foot.

“Tis’ fine,” the guard muttered waving his hand in dismissal.

“Now, take her away from me!” the Chancellor screamed at a ridiculous high pitch. Dogs could have heard him. In fact, Tori swore she head dogs howl back in response.

*

They were ready. Cat, Jade, Tori, Beck, Andre and Robbie were prepared to escape this hellish nightmare. Their little group plus every other prisoner in this jail were standing behind a curtain as they could hear the chatter of the Yerbanian citizens, including the Chancellor, who were sitting, waiting for the show to start. Tori’s stomach was squirming with anticipation.

“Hello everybody! Make clap-ter for Toree Vagi and the kids from Hollywood Arts!” Tori frowned at the way they pronounced her name again. Faint, pathetic clapping could be heard as the curtain in front of them was lifted and they walked further into the spot light. There weren’t many people there. A hundred at the most. She spotted Jade rolling her eyes at the poor audience that they would be performing in front of. Despite this being a getaway, a show was a show… and this sucked.