Chapter Twenty-Four

To Tori's relief and surprise, Jade came back from her group therapy session on a much more positive note. She was all smiles and the pain in her green eyes was much duller than before which Tori was happy to see.

"You would not believe the messed up people in this world," Jade was saying as she was getting ready to leave the hospital. Tori discovered that the girl did not need a parent or guardian to discharge her which would make leaving easier than she thought it would be. "Some of them were drug addicts and were kicked out of home by their parents."

Tori merely nodded absentmindedly as she waited for Jade to finish in the hospital room. Her thoughts were still on Beck and she had not told her girlfriend what had happened between them. She was worried that Jade would react poorly or decide to go beat the crap out of him or something. Besides, Tori didn't want to ruin the good mood that Jade was in at that moment.

"Are you alright, Tori? You've been really quiet."

Tori smiled as sincerely as she could. "I'm fine. Haven't been sleeping well, that's all."

Jade gazed at her girlfriend with suspicion but decided not to push it. She knew better than anyone how people could react if you talked about something they were not ready for.

Jade hurriedly put her meagre possessions in a bag that Tori had brought for her and finally left the hospital room behind her as the girls walked side-by-side to the administration office. The hospital was particularly busy today, staff bustling in the corridors and visitors eagerly trying to sneak through wards while the nurses weren't looking.

"I can't wait to leave this place," Jade moaned as they avoided yet another running doctor.

"Have you thought about where you're going to go yet?" Tori suddenly asked. They had brushed on this topic before but hadn't delved into any specifics. Tori knew Jade did not want to go back home. She hadn't mentioned this to her girlfriend, but she was eager to let Jade stay at her house if she needed to.

Jade sighed. "I can't go back home."

Tori nodded. "I understand."

"But I have nowhere else to go."

Tori hesitated. "You could... come live with me for a while? There are no parents at my house and it's just Trina and I. I could look after you."

Jade looked at Tori in surprise as they stopped in the hallway. "You want me to stay at your house?"

"Why not? It's practical and I'm certainly not objecting to having my girlfriend under the same roof as me."

Jade grinned and nodded. "Alright, Vega. You have a deal."

Tori grinned back and kissed Jade on the cheek before heading back to the administration's office. They walked hand-in-hand, swinging their arms together.

Unfortunately, there was a long line at the desk and the poor woman sitting behind it looked flustered. They were waiting for at least ten minutes before it was their turn.

"Hi, I'm Jade West. I'm being discharged today," Jade said politely.

The woman scrolled through her computer, clucking her tongue. "Ah, Jade West, here you are."

There was more clicking.

"Everything seems to be in order. I just need you to sign this and you'll be free to go."

While Jade was signing papers, a doctor approached Tori. It was Jade's doctor.

"Tori, could I speak to you for a moment?"