Chapter 5 - Roomates

Once we were dismissed, Aecus and I made our way back to our new living quarters. I collapsed onto my bed and lay face down whilst the other victims filed into the room selecting their beds. I lifted my head to find Aecus looking out the small window that was located high above our beds. A few minutes had passed and his gaze never wavered. He stood perfectly still with his arms folded on the sill and expressionless. However, his eyes sparkled with hope.

"Aecus?" I asked breaking his deep thought. The sparkle left his eyes immediately when he came back to reality and realised where we were. "What were you looking at?" I questioned with my arms folded across my chest and a skeptical look occupying my face. He stepped off the bed and made his was to the unstable, sad looking bookcase which was missing many shelves and was home to a handful of books. He lifted a book entitled 'São Paulo: Where to go and what to see'. "Oh it was nothing" he replied with a smirk playing on his lips as if he had a brilliant secret that he took joy in not sharing with me. I got frustrated and stiffened up as I didn't like him toying with me. We never kept secrets from each other so this made me feel uncomfortable and isolated. "Right, don't tell me then" I replied in a bored tone to act as if I didn't care but he could see through my facade when his eyes met mine. I darted my eyes to the floor and walked to my bed at the other side of the room. I don't like getting emotional so I avoid it as much as possible. When I do get overwhelmed I get frustrated and alienate myself until I settle. The only time Aecus has saw me cry was after our home was destroyed. After seeing how lost he looked, I promised I would always be his rock and protect him at all costs.

----

The reduction in light coming through the window above me indicated that it was near night time so peeling back the duvet, I gingerly lay in the bed. I pulled up the covers and placed my head in the centre of the thin, uneven pillow. I turned away from Aecus so I was facing the large armoire. Faint snores became my background sound as I tried to drift off to sleep....nothing. My stupid mind was still working even though I've told it numerous times it's supposed to be off duty, obviously it doesn't want to rest even though the rest of my body begs to differ. From looking around at the room earlier, I could tell that there was still a number of beds unoccupied so there must be more children coming in the next couple of days. At the minute, besides Aecus and I, there was an average height, well built boy who looked around 17. He had a birthmark covering half of his face which you wouldn't notice unless you concentrated as his skin was very swarthy. His eyebrows were constantly furrowed and his bottom lip jutted out slightly. The other roommate was a slim girl. She looked around 13/14 an had uneven cut black hair that just reached her shoulders. She had uneven cut bangs which she used to hide her slim, pointed face. Whenever I did catch glimpses of her, I noticed she has quite small eyes and she constantly chewed at her lower lip, which must be a nervous habi-

Wait, I think I'm finally falling asleep...

I can feel myse-

...What was I sayi-

ZzZzzZZzzz....

----

The next morning

The door to our room swung open to bang against the thin wall causing it to cause an indent in the poorly painted wood.

I rubbed my eyes to try and wake myself. I didn't realise how exhausted my body was until this moment when I tried to move and every muscle ached and screamed for me to not try and get up any farther out of my bed. They yearned for rest and so did every other fibre of my body.

"Get the hell up!" A harsh male voice grumbled at us. I pushed myself up wincing for a second. I glanced around seeing the other three were already up, had made their beds and were making their way to the door. I quickly (well not really quickly) pulled up the duvet and straightened it, then walked as quick as I could to catch up with the others.

We walked to a small room where we were each in turn instructed what out job was and who we were assigned to. As Aecus and I were the eldest they started with us. "Well, you will both be assigned to the same family as they requested a male and female". I grabbed Aecus' hand instinctively and out of relief that we won't be separated. He squeezed my hand in reassurance as the man continued "you will both be leaving shortly. Oh and don't mess this up, this is an important client that is willing to pay a hefty amount for our service." I let out a chuckle and shook my head in his use of "our", the man gave me a stern look debating withing himself whether to strike me for my cheek or to leave it as he didn't want me looking bad for the new client. He breather heavily and nodded towards to the door for us to leave. As I turned he called "oi, and you, girl" he said girl with such venom, "don't think I'm going to let that go". I just continued to walk towards the door, ignoring his comment.

We got into a simple looking, black car which didn't look to expensive. The car roared to life and began it's journey to our employers house. The car pulled up outside a large, modern house that was decorated with numerous expensive looking cars. I gawked at this place someone had the privilege to call home. I was snapped from my trance by my brother nudging my shoulder and leading me out of the vehicle. We followed the driver up to the front door. He knocked three times and then took a step back waiting for an answer...

Well here goes nothing...

🌻🌻
Sorry for the delay on this chapter I've just been slightly busy. This chapter wasn't exciting but I wanted to pay attention to detail to other things that may pop up later in the series. I will be posting another chapter in the morning, in about 8 hours, so stay tuned.

Let me know what you think or as a question by commenting or messaging me directly, all questions will be answered :))

-S
🌻🌻