Chapter 5: Not the whole truth.

KEISUKE’S POINT OF VEIW (OOW)

“This is Smert’, she will be your partner from now on.”

Those were my father’s words as he handed me a small lion cub. My mother didn’t really like the idea… but my father insisted.

“Don’t you think it’s a little soon for him to----”

“None sense! He’ll do a great job. You’re his mother, after all.”

****

A few days later I was just coloring on a paper with crayons as I ate while lying on the floor.

“Hi, Smert'! What’s up? Wait, what are you doing? Those are mine!!

I sat up crossed legged and picked up the box.

“oh, alright. You can have them.” I said as I fed them all to her. “Your name should be French fries instead…” I joked, but it did seem to suit her better. I turned around and wrote it on a brand new piece of paper. As I wrote she watched. “So… if the plural is french fries… then singular should be… without an “s”….

****

“Hey there, champ! What you got there?”

“Nothin’…” I kept swinging back and forth on my ankles and then looked up at my dad. “Can I change Smert'’s name?”

“No.”

“Shinobu!” scolded my mother. “It’s his pet, let him choose the name.”

“Fine. Listen champ, were going to get her license tomorrow. So why don’t we get her new name written on it?”

“Yeah!!” I screamed and held the paper tighter with joy.

“I mean… it’s not going to be as nice as Smert' or anything… but why don’t you show me what you came up with?” he said as he leaned closer to try to take the paper, which I snatched away.

“No, daddy!” I screamed and ran inside. As I ran I could hear mom and dad laughing, they used to be so happy.

***

“Alright, champ. Show the man the paper so he can write her new name on the stone.”

I handed it to my father and he took a look at what I wrote. I even remember the color I used… light purple and I decorated it with green.

“Champ… that’s… not how you spell fren---

“Yeah it is! T-That’s how I want to spell it!” I pouted.

“Alright….But this doesn’t beat Smert', just saying.”

We used to be really happy… we were a really close family… My dad smiled, and laughed and my mom kicked ass. Everything was so perfect…not that it really matters… that was two hundred years ago…

“Hey, Keisuke!” Logan called as Keisuke zipped his back and closed the door to his locker. When he got close to him Logan playfully hit him in the shoulder.

“H-hey, Logan.” He replied putting a hand over his arm. Keisuke looked at Logan and found Jona glaring at him at the back. Keisuke sighed. “What’s… u~p?”