Story 5

The Begger

Someonelse's POV

My name is Valya. I'm an engineer and a very scientific person; I analyze everything and I try not to give in to believing "paranormal" stories - although I have always been absurdly fascinated by the stuff. I work in a large city where there is a large population of homeless folks wandering about. They all seem to have their own "territories" as well, and I can recognize them just because they dwell in the same areas all the time.

A few weeks ago, I was walking down my usual street to get my car out of the garage. I was walking along and noticed a homeless man sitting on a bench-like thing outside the garage. I had never seen him before as he wasn't a regular on that particular block. As I passed he implored, "Please spare some change. Anything will help." I was thinking about offering him change, but then realized that all I had were some larger bills and some change buried in my briefcase somewhere.

I kept walking, pretending not to hear the man. I felt a pang of remorse as I passed him, but continued. He continued to beg, and then as I sauntered away from him, he said, "Please spare some change. Please, Valya."

I immediately turned around, as most people naturally would upon hearing their name, and was met with this homeless man's strange, penetrating stare. I was in utter disbelief that the man knew my name, being that I was was not wearing my nametag and I had never met him before. There was no logical explanation for it.

When I looked back at him, his eyes were black, bottomless and almost hypnotic. His stare was truly unearthly and vexing. It wasn't evil, but it was powerful and I had chills running up and down my spine. I truly felt that I knew this person - or creature - or that he/it knew me very well.

He continued to stare at me and he actually stopped begging as other people passed by (which was unusual) as I kept walking looking at him out of the corner of my eye. I was so unbelievably frightened and speechless! I have no idea what it was or who it was, and why it called my name and no one else's! I have never seen that man again on the street.

----------------------------
VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE