Chapter 24: Let's Blow this popsicle stand!

Every day went the same way.  We’d get to go to bed after hours of sitting and waiting for them to take the needles out of our heads, extremely pain, by the way.  Then we wake up in the morning and wait until they bring us breakfast.  Then we wait a while longer and they bring us lunch.  Then finally, they bring us dinner and we go back to “training”.

And I almost missed the life I had before.  But neither of us had had a vision since we got here, so I guess there’s something to be grateful for.

And in all the waiting, Fate and I talked less and less every day.  It gave me a lot of time to think.  I wondered if my Alyssa knew what Denis did?  Is she still with him, or did she leave when she found out what he’d done?

Was Nicole worried about me?  Was her perky-self scared for her friend?  For surely we had become close enough to be considered friends.  And when I realized that, I smiled.  I have a friend.

What was Derek doing?  Did he miss me?  Was he regretting not dragging Fate and I out of here, carrying us over his shoulders or something?

And was Derek’s father (whose name, I had discovered, was Michael) really as insane as he seemed?

After about two weeks (I think.  There was no way of knowing exact date or time here.) Fate and I had just stopped talking when unnecessary altogether.  Like we had already said anything to each other we ever could, or would.

We were sitting in silence when all of a sudden there was a siren sounding and red flashing lights everywhere.  Then, there were a few beeps, and our cell door opened.

Confused, I stepped outside to look.  All the cells were open, but no one made a move to leave.  I was about to go sit back down on the floor when I heard footsteps.  I looked out and saw someone running down the hallway, but I couldn’t see who it was with the lights being weird as they were.

But when he was close enough to make out, I wanted so badly to scowl, but I just smiled.

Derek.

When he was right in front of me, he still had to yell over the alarms.  “Destiny, come on!  We have twenty minutes to get out of here!”

I smiled, realizing he had come back for me.  I would never have to stick one more needle in my head for as long as I lived if I didn’t want to.

But then I realized I couldn’t leave.  I couldn’t keep living that way.  “Derek, you have to go.”

“No!  Look, Destiny, this isn’t just about you two.  Mostly, but not completely.”  I was confused, and it must have been portrayed on my face because he furthered his explanation.  “Destiny, I’m breaking everyone out.”

I shook my head.  “They won’t come.  They’re all brain-washed or something.”

“We have to try.  Destiny, think.  This is a government funded project.  If things go wrong, they’ll have to cut all finances.  And more importantly, it’s a top-secret program.  What would happen when it was a little less confidential?”

I was starting to understand what he was saying.  We’ll shut them down.  We’ll be the last “new recruits” they’ll ever have.

It wouldn’t work.  How could it?  We’re just some kids who think we can change things.

“Derek, what are the chances it’ll work?”

“Pretty good, if we can get everyone out now!”

I ran over and knelt next to Fate.  “Come on.  We’re getting out of here.”

She glanced up at Derek, and without questioning, she stood up.

“Finally.”

It took us what felt like hours to get everyone else to get up and out.  The alarms turned off and so Derek, Fate and I stood in the middle of the Prison, surrounded by cells.  “Everyone, we’re getting out.”

When no one made a move, Derek gave them all pretty much the same speech he’d given me, and a few people seemed affected, but most of them stayed where they were.

“Hey!”  Fate had been quiet until then.  But she’d never been good with people not listening to her.  “We’re trying to get a point across here!  By a show of hands, how many people like being here.”  To my great astonishment, a few people actually raised their hands.  “Good.  Honest crowd.  Now just as honestly, how many people think this is right?”

A few people put their hands down.  A few others stood up and walked over to join us.  Our crowd in the center had become about a dozen people, out of the forty or so psychics in the room.

“Now how many of you would want your family to be here?  Your children, sisters, parents, friends, cousins?  Anyone you’ve ever cared about?”

More hands went down.  Now it was just the older people who I assumed had been there the longest.

And more people joined us.  We had about half the people.

“How many of you trust this place?  These people?”  I added.

“Who wants to die here,” Derek filled in.  Hands down.

“Who dreamed at first when they came here, of being free again.  To see your loved ones?”  This time, we gained hands.

We now had about thirty people.  We looked around at the last few people, and I was filled with sadness.  “You all can stay here and be alone forever.  But we have to get going.”

Derek grabbed my hand, and I grabbed my sister’s.  We ran, the others following us, and as we passed cells, some more people joined us.  When we made it to the door at the end of the hallway, I expected the bars to slam shut in front of us.

But we cleared the exit with ease.  I expected Guards to stop us, but quickly, we were outside, for the first time in what felt like years.  My eyes took a while to adjust, and in fact, for a while I thought we were surrounded by dozens of professional looking people.

But after a few minutes, I realized we were.  And they were interviewing us.

“Hello, Lucille Morison from New York Times,” a young blonde woman said, sticking a microphone in my face.  “Can I ask your name, and what it was like being held prisoner by your own government?”

I blinked, confused, but then looked over at Derek, whose smile seemed to explain it all.  “It’s a top-secret program.  What would happen when it was a little less confidential,” Derek had said.

So I spilled.  “You want to know my story?”

[A/N:  So this might be the last chapter, followed by an epilogue tonight or tomorrow.  What do you think, you loving it?  You wanting more?  Well I might right a spin off with a friend.  I seriously want to know what you think of the whole book.  Not enough romance for your liking?  Not enough action, adventure, emotion?  Feel free to share your opinions, I want to know so I can make myself a better writer.]