Chapter 22: More explanations?

Chapter 22

It was all making a little bit more sense.  Derek wasn’t the traitor I thought he was.

“But why?” Fate and I both asked at the same time.

Without acknowledging us, Denis turned to Derek’s father and said quickly, “Now where is she?”  Who?

“Go get her.  Alyssa Richards,” he said to the goon nearest to the door.  “And be careful.  We’ve had her the longest.  She’s the most powerful.”

My mom?  She’s dead!

It took me a while to realize I was yelling that at him.  “You killed her!”

“Kill her?  Oh, no!  I would never do that.  You psychics are perfectly safe here.”  His smug smile made me want to puke.

“What are you talking about?”  Fate was weaker now than I’ve ever seen her.

But before he could respond, the goon was back with a quiet woman in tow.  She was older than the last time I’d seen her.  Her once brown hair was now graying.  Her beautiful face was slightly wrinkly.  And her once energetic smile was missing altogether.

But I still recognized her immediately.

“Mom?”

“Alyssa?”  Lisa, who had been silent this whole time, spoke, relieved, despite the circumstances.

She looked at us sadly, but didn’t say a thing.

“Mom, you’re alive?”

“Yes she’s alive, idiots.  We wouldn’t kill her.  She’s one of our most powerful.”

“What’s going on,” Fate screamed, and everyone stopped what they were doing to stare at her.  The man holding her tightened his grip, and I could tell it hurt her.

Derek’s father frowned and clucked his tongue disappointedly.  “I thought you would have figured it out by now.  You’re a smart girl.  We are the MRP.  Mutant riddance Program.  We specialize in disposing-”

“We know that much.”

“Right.  Well, we have another job.  Collecting.  The mutants that could be useful to the government are simply collected.  Especially psychics, telepaths, and the others with special… abilities.”  His tone was calm and smooth and I wished I could get up and spit at his face.

“We put you through intense… training.  This raises your power level.  Of course, some are driven to insanity, but others are so useful to the country.  We’ve even avoided some wars with you.”  I noticed how he changed from saying “Mutants,” to “You.”

I saw Derek pacing silently in the background and thought He didn’t do anything.  This thought would have made me happy.  But I was in too odd of circumstances to be happy.

“Not only are your current abilities heightened, but they’re extended.  You can gain other abilities, too.”

He was trying to make it sound like a worthwhile experience.  But looking at my mother, I could see it takes a lot out of you.

“So what does he have to do with anything,” I put in nodding at my father.

“He came to us last week, desperate, pleading with us to give him his wife back.  When we turned him down, he offered us you two in exchange.  Two for one, such a great deal.”

I looked at Denis, miserably.  I knew this was true.  There was no doubt in my mind.  I thought back to the letter in the jewelry box.

I’ll never leave you, even though you’d be way better off without me.

That’ what the note had said.  And I realized he loved my mother more than anything.  Including me and Fate.

Derek’s father, whose name I still hadn’t learned, turned to the goons that were holding us and said, “Why don’t you take Destiny and Mikayla here to their new home?  Let them stay together, though,” he said smiling like he was doing us a huge favor.  And then I realized something.  Mikayla.  He didn’t know Fate’s real name?

But right then there was a stabbing pain in my arm and I was knocked out.

Stupid drugs.

[A/N: a little longer.  I’m sorry it’s so short.  Not what I’m used to.  But I hope this chapter cleared some things up.  So I’m going to try and end this in five chapters or less.  Vote and comment!]