Chapter 1: First Day of School

Chapter 1

Ten years later

 “Lisa, do we have to?”

“Of course!  You mother would wring my neck if I didn’t put you in school!”

“Well, you don’t have to worry about my mother’s wrath.  Unless you think a ghost could kill you.”

“Your mother would find a way.”

My little sister stepped into the conversation then.  “AW!  Come on, Lisa!  Who needs a high school education?”

“You!  Now get dressed and be in that car in ten minutes or you’re grounded.”

“Fine!”

This was how every school year started.  Lisa kept us moving around the country every year, which she could do easily with her knowledge.  It never took her very long to get a new job, because everyone with half a brain knew that she was the best candidate for any job.  Currently, she was working as a receptionist at some fancy law firm on the other side of town.

I felt secretly bad, knowing that Fate and I were the reasons she couldn’t settle down in one place.  She’s trying to keep us safe, off the radar.  Ever since she got the phone call a few days after my mother was taken away.  They had to give my mother one phone call, so she called to tell Lisa that they were going to kill her.  We didn’t get to talk to her, though.  She was afraid that if anyone found out she had daughters, then we would be killed as well.

I didn’t know why they hurt my mother until I was twelve, and I had the dream.  It was one dream that changed, not just my life, but Clarice Shaw’s as well.  Clarice was a high schooler, about seventeen I think, who had helped Lisa run errands a few times.  In my dream, I saw her getting drunk and trying to drive.  Two days later, I saw her in the news because of a car accident, due to drunk driving.

That was the first of many visions.  I told Lisa, and she explained that that was why my mother had been taken away.  She told me all about it.  My mother was a psychic, and she discovered one day that there was a top-secret CIA organization called MRP; Mutant Riddance program.  Mutants ranged from babies born with two heads, to people with inhuman abilities.  They “arrest” mutants and take them to a base to be killed.  They think they’re doing the world a favor by ridding the world of freaks.

She told me I had to keep it all a secret, and try to blend in.

I tried to at first, but then I remembered the last words my mother had said to me.  “You are original.  Don’t ever let anyone take that away from you.”

I stopped trying to be like everyone else at the next school I went to.  I dyed my hair blue and never put on makeup.  I don’t wear trendy clothes or converse or anything like anyone else.  I buy t-shirts, usually black, and paint sayings on them in fabric paint and marker.  I wear plain jeans with them, though.

I walked back into my room and put on a black t-shirt that says, “Basically, I hate conformity. I hate people telling me what to do. It makes me want to smash things. So-called normal behavior patterns make me so bored, I could throw up!” –Wendy O. Williams.  The words were written in blue paint that matched the electric blueness of my hair.

I put on some light wash jeans and my black sneakers.  I ran a brush through my long wavy blue hair and went to the bathroom to brush my teeth.

Fate was already there, blow drying her cherry red hair, so I shouted, “hey!  You excited?  You’re finally not a freshman anymore!”

“Yeah.  I’m practically at the top of the food chain now!”

We laughed together.  Fate was now fifteen, and going into sophomore year.  She had her first psychic dream when she was thirteen, but she was prepared.  She knew it was coming.