Chapter 3: The Gym

Chapter 3

Dinner was just pizza, like every year on the first day of school.  When we each had a few slices, Fate and I went into our rooms, changing into our work out clothes and I got the keys from Lisa.  In a few minutes, we were pulling out of the driveway.

A few minutes before we got to the gym, I heard a buzz, and saw Fate squirming to pull her phone out of her back pockets.

She pushed a few buttons and stared at the screen, laughing a bit.

“Logan?”

“You don’t know that.”

Just then we were stopped at a red light, so I smiled and joked, “oh really?”  And before she could stop me, I took the phone out of her hands and read the text aloud.

“Hey, Kay, what’s up?  I just saw a nun jogging.  Lol!”  I laughed at her immaturity and looked her straight in the eyes.  “Someone’s got a crush,” I teased.

“Do not!  I’ve known him for like, a day!”

“Your point?”

I looked over and saw her face flushing almost as red as her hair.

“Ha!  See, I’m right!”

“Whatever.”  She turned her attention to whatever was outside the window.

“Hey, I think you missed the turn.”

“No, this is right.”

“No, you were supposed to turn on Sutton street.”

“I know.  That’s up here on our right.”

“No, it was back there on our left.”

I could tell she wasn’t going to give up on this easily.

“Calm down.  Trust me, I know where we are.”

***

Well, turns out I was wrong.  I had no idea where we were.  We had to call Lisa and ask her to look up our location on google and tell us how to get to the gym.  In the end, what was meant to be a five minute drive turned out to be a thirty minute drive.

As we walked up the steps at the front of the gym, Fate kept bothering me about it.

“Just admit it!  I was right, you were wrong!”

“Never!”

“Come on!”

We entered the gym and flashed our membership cards to the lady at the front desk, and she let us go in to the exercise room.

“Alright, fine!  I was right, and you were wrong.”

“Yeah, that’s why it took us half an hour to get here.”

“I thought it was a short cut,” I offered, but she wasn’t buying it.

“Seriously, you just can’t stand the fact that I was smarter than you.”

“I could.  If it were true.”

Okay, so I knew it was way true.  I barely made it through school with a C average.  Besides, I am a natural blonde.  Well, dirty blonde, actually.

Fate had inherited a lot more from our mother than I had, though.  She had light brown hair and her brown almond eyes.

However, I had inherited my father’s big round blue eyes and light hair.  I sort of resented that.  I had been raised to hate my father.  It wasn’t like I hadn’t ever met him, but he left when I was five, so I don’t have any good memories with him.  In fact, I resented him for leaving.  I couldn’t help but think that my mother would be safe and alive if he was there to protect her.

“Hey, Destiny, what are you thinking about?”

I looked up at my sister and knew there was no use lying about where my mind had wandered off to, but I didn’t have to say the whole truth.

“Nothing.  Just, you look a lot like mom.”

She smiled and looked down, probably wishing she was there, like I was doing.

We set down our gym bags on a bench in the corner and jogged over to the treadmills, keeping a slow pace so we could keep talking.

“So, that Derek guy was kind of cute earlier.  In a geeky kind of way.”

I laughed.  “You thought so, huh?”

“Yeah.”

“I didn’t really notice.”

She faked shock.  “Didn’t you see how the light shined in his eyes just perfectly?  Or how his hair fell just perfectly in front of his face?”

I laughed at her goofiness.  “Nope,” I said, popping the p.

We talked a few minutes before I heard a voice behind me.  “Hey, Lizzy?”

I mouthed “crap” so quietly no one could have heard, turning off the machine, and turned around, plastering a smile on my face.  “Hi, Derek.  What are you doing here?”

“Oh, I just wanted to get a work out.”

“That so?”

“Yeah.  And also, um, there’s this huge party every year at the beginning of the school year at the Wood’s house.”

I stared at him blankly and he realized his mistake.  “The Woods are this really rich family, two of the Woods girls, Rebecca and Claire go to our school.  Anyway, I was wondering if you wanted to go with me.”

I opened my mouth and Fate’s voice came out.

“She’d love to!”

I turned around and gave her a death glare.  When I turned back, I started thinking about how to turn him down.

“You know, I would, except I don’t do parties, and I wouldn’t know anyone there anyway.”

“Yeah, you would know me.  Besides, it would give you an opportunity to get to know the people in town.”

“Yeah, sorry, but I really can’t.”

He looked down and then said, “Well how about a movie then?”

“No thanks.”

“Oh, okay.”  He walked away quietly and I felt kind of bad.  But I shook off any guilt I was feeling at the moment and turned up the speed on the treadmill, running faster than Fate.

[A/N: Hey, what do you think of the story?  My friend says it’s the best story she’s ever read.  What do you think of Derek?  Or Logan?  Comment and vote please!]