Chapter 19: Intruders

Chapter 19

We sat silently for what seemed like hours, thinking about why my father could be back.

“I got nothing,” Fate said first.

“Same here.”  I huffed.

Just then, someone tried opening the door.  My sister and I exchanged a panicked look.  We turned to run when Lisa walked in, throwing her coat on the couch.

“Girls, I’m home!”  When she took in her faces, her smile was replaced with a worried frown.

After Fate told her about her mistrust, she calmed down, reassuring us that we’re fine.  That Denis wouldn’t do anything to hurt us.

I knew Fate wouldn’t believe, her, but she nodded and we went off to our individual rooms.  I put on my basketball shorts that serve as pajamas and was leaving to brush my teeth, when Fate opened my door and rushed in.

“So, after that whole conversation, I realized you went out with Derek and I never asked you about it.”

“It wasn’t a date.  Nicole was there,” I reminded her as I tried to get around her to get to the bathroom, but she wouldn’t let me get away with just that.

“But still, how’d it go?”

“It was fine.  He bought us nachos.”  There.  That was good enough, right?

Wrong

“There’s something you’re not telling me, isn’t there?  Come on, tell me!”

Sometimes I wondered if Fate really was more psychic than me, like if she could read minds or something.  I could try lying to her, and say no, and dodge more questions by running to the sanctuary of the bathroom.  Or I could stay here and just tell her.

Well, I can’t lie, and Fate is a faster runner than me, so the first option is out of the question.

“He kissed me.  You happy?”

From the look on her face, I could tell she was.  But she was going to make me stay up all night to talk about it and give her way more details than I want to share.

“How was it?”

“What?”

“The kiss, Dumbutt!”

I tried to think of how to respond to that.  “It was… short, and awkward.”

“No,” she groaned like a little girl who had her ice cream taken away.  She collapsed on my bed in frustration.

“Why do you care so much?”

She sat up, her face twisted, as if debating whether or not to tell me.

Of course, she decided not to.  Instead, she ran out, and told me the bathroom was open just before closing the door behind her.

“What is wrong with that girl,” I mumbled under my breath.

I picked up my towel and robe and walked out of my room to take a shower.  I opened the door to the bathroom, but the second I put my things on the counter, I heard the door burst open loudly and Lisa in the living room screaming.

I unlocked the door in front of me and ran out, realizing I should have stayed to listen a minute.  I could have done something to prevent what was about to happen.  What was happening right then.  I could have found something to use against them.  They wouldn’t have looked through the house, right?

Who was I kidding?  Of course they would.  I rounded the corner in the hallway, turning into the living room to feel a sense of de ja vu.

Of course they would have.  They are the MRP after all.

“What’s going on here,” I forced herself to say, trying to sound unfazed by the sight of them holding Lisa’s hands behind her back like a criminal.  Just then, I realized that Fate was right behind me.

“What’s going on,” she almost screamed.

“You know what,” one of the large men sneered at us.  The other two, who had been standing behind him, came in on me and my sister, grabbing us the way they held our aunt-for-all-intents-and-purposes

The man’s tone, and words, and eyes, made me think of the men who had “arrested” my mom.  You know why, Psychic loon.  The words came back to me, running through my mind, without me condoning the memory.  I had spent years trying to block those words from my mind.  They meant something.  Knives to my heart.

As if we had a choice.  As if we chose to be… freaks.  You make me sick.

The thought came with rage.  I wanted to say it, but I calmed myself down quickly and remembered that Lisa always told us to lie if we were in this situation.

“We know?  Why don’t you jog our memories,” Fate said before I could.  Her voice was flat, but not quite as calm as normal.  I could hear her words shake as she fought to keep herself from cracking, and worse, from showing her fear.

“Shut up, you psychic idiot.  You think you’re so smart, so superior?  Well you’re not.  Just cause you can see the future?  You’re dumber than your mother had been.”

Fate whipped any understanding from her face, and I made sure to do the same.  But, of course, it wasn’t hard, since I was confused.  They knew my mother?  They knew Alyssa Roberts?

“What are you talking about?  This,” I gestured to Lisa, “is my mother.”

It was a stretch.  Fate and I were so incredibly pale, we were almost albino.  And Lisa was tan.  Naturally tan.  Naturally tan mixed with the results of days on the beach whenever she could get them.

The men weren’t fooled a minute.

“Nice try.”  He turned to the others.  “Let’s get them out to the van.”  And with that, he pulled my guardian into the dark of the night, with our captors in tow.

They pushed us into the big black car on the street, but before they did, Fate got out a cry.  “Where are you taking us?”

The large man smiled wickedly.  “To see your mommy.”

As the car drove off, my mind was drowning in thoughts.  My “Mommy” is dead, being a popular thought.  That, and I’ll kill you, Derek.  I really will.