Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Lyric was awakened by Elijah and Milo talking outside.

“What are we going to do with the girl?” Milo asked

“I don’t know I am still thinking.”

“We could ask for ransom money for her as well as the boy?”

“No, we will have no need after we get the boy’s money”

“We could kill her?”

“I may be a bad man but I am not that bad. I don’t want to have that burden on me the rest of my life.”

“We could just let her go?”

“She knows too much, that isn’t possible without us getting thrown in jail. We will figure something out. While I am thinking get that lazy boy up to work.”

 Lyric quickly laid back down and closed her eyes pretending to be asleep. Milo came in and kicked Jason awake “Get up you lazy slob.”

Jason glared at Milo, and stood up.  “Give me a break.”

Milo laughed a heart wrenching laugh “Never.” He said glaring back at Jason. He reached and grabbed Lyric by her hair “And if you continue with this attitude, your girlfriend here will get hurt.” Jason’s face softened.

“I get it.” He said between clenched teeth “Just please don’t hurt her.”

   Milo let go of Lyric and signaled toward the door.  “Come on were wasting daylight.” Lyric caught a clear view of Jason as he headed toward the door. His normally strong body seemed fragile and pale. His shiny brown hair was matted on top of his head.  She held back tears as she watched him go out the door. She couldn’t let him do anymore, he wasn’t strong enough.

“Wait!” she shouted after them “Let me do Jason’s work for him. He is too weak and I am still pretty strong, I could do a better job.”

Milo laughed “Fine with me. I would love to see you punished. Maybe it will teach you to keep from snooping around in other people’s business.”

Jason’s face was pained “No! Lyric don’t I can do it.”

Lyric walked by him and touched his arm “You need rest. I can handle it.”

Milo grabbed her arm and pushed her into the sunlight.  Pain shot through her eyes as she was temporarily blinded by the light. The cold winter air burned her face.

Milo led her to a field “Your job today is picking weeds.”

Lyric gasped looking at the huge field in front of her. There was at least a mile of weeds in front of her.  “How much?” she asked

Milo laughed again “All of it, so you better get started.” He walked away and Lyric dropped to her knees beginning to weed.

     She worked for hours. Even though it was cold she still sat wiping sweat from her forehead. The pain in her back and knees was incredible. Her throat hurt and she trembled from lack of water and food.  She continued to pull weeds until it was dark. As the sun set Milo came for her.

“You’re done for now.” He said gruffly “You will finish tomorrow.”

Lyric breathed a sigh of relief as she tried to sit up. Pain shot through her back and legs as she stood. To keep from screaming she bit her lip until she tasted blood.  He gripped her arm and led her back to the shed. He opened the door and tossed her into Jason’s arms.

“Lyric, why did you do that?” Jason asked setting her carefully on the ground

“Because you couldn’t! You wouldn’t have survived, not in the state you are in.”

“I don’t care! You shouldn’t have done that.”

Lyric felt her anger rise “Well I’m sorry! Next time I will let you die out there!” she immediately regretted it “Jason I’m…”

“No Lyric I am sorry. I should have been grateful. I just hate to see you in pain it kills me. Come on we need to leave.”

Lyric tried to rise but her legs were too stiff. Jason pulled her up and led her towards the clock.

“Will you be okay to run?” he asked

“I’m sure.” She answered smiling up at him

Jason sighed this was his time to say good-bye. He may never see her again. He bent down towards her and kissed her. Smiling down at her he said “I will always be with you. I love you Lyric.” Before she could reply he lifted her on his back and through the hole.

Lyric landed on the other side and waited for Jason. He never showed up. “Jason?” she whispered “Come on.”

“No Lyric.” She heard his reply “I can’t. I am not tall enough. I will be fine just go get help. I love you.”

“I love you too.” She replied through her tears. Then she did the thing she vowed she would never do, she left Jason.