Chapter 3

Chapter 3

The first 5 months passed by fast. The Wright house was in a bustle trying to get the house ready for two new additions. One of the days the four girls decided to go shopping for the nurseries.

 “It would help if we knew what your baby was Mom.” Sarah said with a hint of laughter in her voice.

“Sorry Sarah but Drew and I want it to be a surprise. We are going to do more of a neutral theme I just don’t know what!”

“I think since I am having a Girl I am going to try to do a flower theme. What do you think?” Kate asked

“I think that would be great.” Lyric said smiling. Over that past few months she and Kate had become best friends they now did a lot together. Her thoughts flashed to one of the times they went to see a movie together.  Jason picked them up and they headed off to Franks a local diner that was famous for its fried pickles and Banana Milkshakes. Once in Franks they talked for hours and ended up missing their movie but they didn’t care it was such a great night. Lyric felt as if the three had been best friends forever. She had even almost forgotten that Kate had once been her dreaded step-sister that she tried so hard to avoid, though she was still her step-sister she was no longer dreaded she now was loved and Lyric was excited about their time  together. In fact there had not only been such a magnificent change in Kate but also in Ella and Sarah (who also had accepted Christ not long after her mother and sister.) It was a great privilege for Lyric to have three Girls in her family that she could talk to and learn things with. Joshua decided to hold off on school for a little bit so he could help out. This made Lyric even happier. “My life seems almost perfect.”She thought.

The day was a blast. They went into several baby boutiques and nursery stores to get ideas on what the themes should be. Kate finally decided to do a modern looking flowery nursery and got it started off by buying a few lamps, wall accessories and bedding. Ella on the other hand couldn’t decide what to get she went back for awhile.

Everyone tried to offer ideas “What about like a jungle theme?” Sarah suggested holding up a cute elephant patterned lamp.

“No, it is very cute but I am just not feeling it.” Ella responded looking through one of the stores catalog.

“Maybe we could do an ocean theme?” Kate offered holding up a baby blue bed set covered with sail boats and whales.

“No, I don’t even know what I am looking for anymore! I am so sorry girls for making you stay with me for this long. You guys must be hungry and tired. We can go home now if you’d like.”

“No way” Lyric replied “We won’t stop until we know what you want.” It had taken awhile for everyone to actually find a time to get out together.

“Perhaps I can help?” a worker offered. Lyric couldn’t help noticing how odd he looked working in a boutique. He was very tall perhaps around 6’3, His head was shaved, and when he smiled he was missing several teeth and had a few golden ones in their place. His clothes were also odd. Red pants pared with a bright green button up along with black dress shoes. She couldn’t help feeling weird with him around but she didn’t know why? She decided to ignore the feeling and walk around a bit.

As she was walking away she could hear him offer suggestions to Ella while holding up different objects to go with the theme. After about another hour Sarah came up to her

“Mom has FINALLY decided.” She said with a sigh of relief “She is going with woodland them sort of like Winnie the Poo.”

Lyric walked over with the rest. Ella was checking out with the attendant talking excitingly and thanking him. He nodded and handed the items to Ella then looked up at Lyric.

“Well Hello.” He said “what is your name?”

Lyric stood there for awhile and finally answered “Lyric”

“Nice to meet you.” He said with a wink and Lyric’s heart skipped a beat “Why I am I so uncomfortable around him?” She thought walking away

After they got home and filled Joshua and Drew in with the details of their day Lyric found Kate sitting on the couch and decided to talk with her.

“Man that attendant was amazing!” Kate said throwing her head back “We would have never gotten out of there if he hadn’t come.”

“Yeah he kind of creeped me out though.”

Kate looked at Lyric with a puzzled expression “What do you mean?” She asked

“I don’t know just when I was around him something didn’t feel right.”

Kate rolled her eyes “Lyric you just overreacting!”

 After talking a little while more Lyric went to bed “Maybe I am overreacting.” She thought .She tried to make herself forget him.

Several weeks went by with no more strange things happening. Since it was summer there was no school and Lyric spent a lot if her time with Jason and Kate. One day when Kate wasn’t feeling so well Jason called Lyric inviting her to go to the new skating rink. Lyric quickly accepted and went to meet him there.  The two skated for awhile then went to the food court located inside. Lyric was eating her hamburger and listened to Jason talk about baseball when she noticed him.  She stared at him trying to decide if it was really him but his smile confirmed it. It was the Man at the boutique but he was wearing the Ice rinks uniform “Maybe he just got a new job?” Lyric thought but something still made her feel uncomfortable.

“Lyric you look sick.” Jason said with a concerned tone

“Oh no I feel okay it’s just... well you know when I was telling you about that guy at the boutique?”

“Yeah the creepy one?”

“Yeah well he is right there.” Lyric pointed him out and Jason turned to look.

“That guy?” He asked laughing “The way you described him you would have thought he was Hitler!”

“He isn’t horrible he actually seems nice but something about him makes me feel very uncomfortable and nervous.”

“Well I will go talk to him and maybe I can decide what it is, but from over here he looks like your average Joe.” Jason walked over to where the man was and talked to him for awhile. Lyric strained to hear their conversation but was unable. After about ten minutes he returned.

“Well?” Lyric asked raising her eyebrows curiously “Any weird feelings, stomach tossing, heart dropping”?

“No! Lyric, he is just like any other person actually he seems really nice. His name is Elijah Jackson .He works several different jobs trying to raise money for the organization he runs to help troubled teens.”

Lyric sighed and dropped her head in her hands “Fine I was wrong. I guess I should stop trying to be Nancy Drew.”

“That would be good.” Jason said laughing “Come on lets go get our skates back on” Jason held out his hand and Lyric accepted it. As they were walking away she snuck a glance at Elijah “I still find something discomforting about him.”She thought shaking her head.