Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Lyric slowly opened her eyes and reached to feel the back of her head. She felt a bump swollen the size of a baseball. It hadn’t been a dream, she had been kidnapped. She slowly propped herself up on her elbows and looked around her. Judging from the cracked wood walls, and dirty concrete flooring she guessed she was in a shed. She saw some tarps and a wooden crate through the darkness.  She sniffed the musty air and started gagging, the smell was sickening.  As she sat up she was overwhelmed with dizziness from both hunger and her head injury. She managed to pull herself all the way up to her feet; and continued to look around “There has to be food somewhere.” She said aloud rubbing her growling stomach. She walked over to the crate and flipped it over. Appalled Lyric stepped back, under the crate was not food but a pile of human waste. Lyric’s stomach turned as she lost her little bit of food left. She flipped the crate back over and ran to the other side of the shed trying to escape the horrid smell.  Having much less energy than before she laid on one of the tarps and closed her eyes.

  She was jolted awake by the sound of yelling coming from outside the shed. She sat up hoping someone was here to rescue her or even bring her food. But her hopes were soon dashed as the door opened revealing only Elijah. He was yelling at a figure she couldn’t make out.

“You filthy pig! You never do anything right.’ He continued to shout and cuss. “Get in there” he yelled pushing a form into the shed. Then the room became dark again. With a grunt the figure landed on the floor.

“I swear I am going to kill you someday!” The person shouted. The voice was deeper, too deep to be a girls.

Lyric tilted her head. She knew that voice. She decided to speak “Hello?” she said

“Who’s there?” He asked “Wait Lyric?” he said his voice cracking.

Lyric heart pounded and her stomach turned. It was Jason. Jason was standing right in front of her. She let out a sob and ran towards him “Jason!” she announced as she was engulfed into his arms

“Oh Lyric!” Jason said now crying as well “My gosh! I thought I would never see you again.” He held her at arms distance and frowned “How did you get here?” He asked concern filling his voice.

   They sat down and Lyric told the story leaving out no details. When she was done Jason spoke up.

“Lyric, you shouldn’t have done that. Now we are both in serious trouble. This is not a good place and I don’t want anything to happen to you.”

“Why do you think I went back out to search? Jason the last couple of months have been torturous for me! Jason, I love you!”

 He pulled her back into his arms and she stayed there. He kissed her forehead “I love you too. And I am sorry I shouldn’t have said those things about you being a know-it all. It was rude of me I was just mad that you wouldn’t tell me that you liked me and I was too chicken to  tell you myself.”

“No! It was all my fault I was too prideful to admit it. I thought you wanted to just stay friends and I should have been okay with that instead of acting like a jerk. I am so sorry Jason!”

“I forgive you besides it’s over now. We just need to think of a way to get out of here.”

“I was trying to figure out a way before you came but I couldn’t see anything!”

“I know I was trying to somehow make a hole in the wood or something to use as a escape hole ,but as stupid as they are they left nothing.”

Lyric sighed and stood up straining to see around her. She couldn’t see anything that would help them.

“I wonder what time it is?” she asked as she sat back down

“About 6pm.”

“Wait how do you know that?”

“There is a clock right there.” Jason answered pointing up at the wall.

“Why in the world would they have a clock? Unless… Oh my gosh! Jason give me a boost.”  Lyric walked over to the clock and glanced up. Who would hang something in a shed unless they are trying to cover something? Jason knelt down and Lyric climbed on his back. She reached up and removed the clock and a burst of light filled through the room. Lyric squinted her eyes as she looked through the hole in the wall

“How big is it?” Jason asked through a strained voice. At his weak state Lyric’s 110 body was too hard for him to lift.

“About the size of a laundry basket it is big enough for us to fit through.” She answered noticing the strain in his voice. It made her heart drop Jason was one of the strongest guys she knew. “Why don’t you put me down?”

Jason set her down and glanced up at the hole in the wall. He knew there was no way they could both get out of there; the wall was at least 7 feet off of the ground. He decided not to tell Lyric if she knew they couldn’t both escape there was no way she would leave his side and he didn’t want to keep her in danger.

“Put the clock back over the hole. We will head out tomorrow night.” He said pain filling his heart. He didn’t want to lose her again but there was no choice he couldn’t risk her safety, he knew what Elijah was capable of.

Lyric laid down next to Jason on the tarp. “How did you get here?” she asked

“I was headed back from the grocery store. I decided to take our secret way because I thought there was a chance you would be there so I could apologize.  As I was walking I felt like I was being followed so I started to run as I did two men tackled me ,blindfolded me and brought me here. They are hoping for ransom money that is why they kidnapped me. They make me work out in the field, and tend to the horses.  And I have no idea where we are. The only thing that has kept me sane is the thought of seeing you and my parents again.”

  Lyric had tears running down her face. “Well I am here and we will get you to your parents tomorrow.”

Jason sighed “Yeah” was all he said and he turned over and fell asleep.

Lyric stayed up awhile listening to Jason’s breathing. He sounded so peaceful.  “Thank you God.” She prayed “Thank you for allowing me to find him. Please keep us both safe. Protect us from danger and give our families peace.” She closed her eyes and also fell asleep.