Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The Nine months passed quickly and the Wright family was on their toes waiting for the Babies to come. In fact Drew had already passed out a curfew to the three other kids incase Kate or Ella were to go into Labor. Drew when at his office kept a cell phone next to him at all times anticipating a call from Ella or Kate.  Kate and Ella were miserable and spent most of their time with their feet propped up on the couch. Lyric and Sarah were back in school so it was left on Joshua to serve the two ladies.

   “Can you believe we are seniors this year Lyric?” Jason asked one day walking to the library.

“No way! I still remember freshman year I thought I was never going to make it through High school.”

“Ha! I am still wondering if I am going to make it!” Lyric laughed with Jason and caught him staring at her. She felt heat rising to her cheeks and quickly dropped her gaze to the ground.

“Why are you acting so weird?” Jason asked

“What are you talking about?” Lyric felt her anger and pride rise up at his question.

“I don’t know it’s just whenever we talk now you almost refuse to let yourself have fun and talk with me like we used to.”

“I do not.”

“Yes you do” Jason had a hint of laughter in his voice 

 “Why don’t you mind your own business? You drive me crazy sometimes acting like you know everything! What if I did do that? What is it to you?”

 “I just wanted things to be like they used to, you know us being best friends.”

 “Well maybe things aren’t they way they used to be.” As soon as she said it Lyric regretted it “Why am I being such a jerk lately?” she thought

 “I guess they aren’t.” Jason sounded hurt “Maybe we just aren’t as close as we used to be. I need to go Lyric. See you around.”

  Lyric felt embarrassed, sad and, angry all at once. She was ashamed of her outburst and wanted more than anything to call after Jason and apologize for being a jerk but her pride took over “Maybe he is right.” She thought “Maybe we aren’t as good of friends as we used to be. Something is wrong with me I just don’t know what.”Lyric walked home by herself feeling horrible for what she said to Jason. Of course she didn’t mean it. Jason was her only friend other than Kate and even then her and Kate were still truly getting to know one another. “I will apologize to Jason tomorrow.” She decided feeling a little better with herself.

 When she got home Sarah greeted her at the door “They just took Kate to the hospital, her water broke.”

“Why didn’t you guys call me?”

“We did but you didn’t answer!”

 Lyric mentally kicked herself. She had forgotten to grab her phone from the charger that morning. “What time did they leave?”

 “About 2 hours ago. Mom said to tell you not to come until three she said the labor will most likely be long. Joshua still hasn’t come home yet he was at a movie with Mason.”

 Lyric sighed and sat on the couch. She had no idea how she was going to wait another hour. Sarah came and sat next to her.

 “We could watch some TV?” she suggested with an impatient tone. Lyric could tell she was as eager to go as herself.

 “Good idea.” She replied and turned on one of their favorite shows. About ten minutes into the show Joshua came in.

 “Hey I just got Dads message.” He said upon seeing Lyric. “I had my phone off!”