12. Break Even

Oh, yes the song on the side inspiried this chapter a little :) I don't want it to be to... sappy, but I do want to get everyone thinking :) It's sung by the guy who won X Factor Australia last year... as least I think it was last year. But I love his voice, so yeah :)

Enjoy!

xox

*

"This is a really, really bad idea." I murmur nervously as Kenny carries me on his back, since I can barely move at the moment. 

"Don't worry, Red!" Hana cries, giggling. "I'll be alright!" 

I look at Kenny, who merely shrugs without turning his head to look back at me. "She'll be alright." 

Even though he says that, I still can't help it when my heart speeds up with worry. "Isn't this breaking and entering?" I whisper. 

"Yep." 

I frown. 

"You're shaking." Kenny observes as he trudges through the forest silently, Hana flittering ahead of him.  

I look down at my hands. I guess I am- still. I shrug, glad the shirt and sweats Kenny gave me are fairly big on my small body. The clothing is surprisingly warm.  

Kenny sighs. "Just calm down, ok? Hana will be fine. Remember how I was telling you Hana and I are Gifted Ones? Well, Hana specialises in what we call Mind Alteration. Because she's so young, her abilities aren't very developed at the moment, she can only alter someone's perspective for a few minutes, and only one person at a time." 

"Huh?" I ask dumbly, flushing. 

"Ok, here's an example. Say you were looking for something that Hana didn't want you to find, and you were getting really close to it. Hana would alter your thoughts away from the object, and get you to do something else. At the moment, she can only keep that up for a few minutes at best, and she can only do it to one person at a time." 

I nod. That's actually really cool, if you think about it. To think that such a young child would be able to do that, even if it is limited... wow. 

"There's another limitation as well. Hana has to look into the persons eyes to use her ability." Kenny says. "So really Hana has to try and avoid anyone she comes across, and hope that if someone does come across her, that the person doesn't make too much noise to alert anyone else." 

"This is sounding like a really bad idea." I mumble, looking down. 

"Eh, don't worry. The two of us have survived for years out by ourselves, so we'll be all good. You want your things, don't you?" 

I open my mouth to reply, but think better of it and close my mouth again. I do need my things, especially my phone. I wonder if anyone tried to contact me. I doubt it.  

Kenny stops close to Jango's house. He kneels on the ground, making the tips of my toes just brush against the dirt. His arms tighten under my thighs, keeping me on his back. Hana is standing in front on him, a fresh lollipop sticking out of her mouth. 

"Ready, Hana?" Kenny questions. 

Hana bobs her head in a nod, her blonde corkscrew curls bouncing. "Yep! I can do it, Kenny!" 

"I know. Well, off you go." Kenny says lazily. 

"Ok, Kenny!" 

I watch nervously as Hana bounds off towards the back door. It's only around eight at night, so that means I was knocked out for at least two hours, and awake for about half an hour. The lights in Jango's house are on still, which means he and Lindsey must be home. I hope no one sees, hears or smells Hana, or us for that matter.