2. He's Confusing

When the end of the day comes, I couldn't be happier. I had made one friend today, a girl almost as quiet as I am. 

Abbey has stick straight brown hair and brown eyes that always seem to be bright. She's smart, like I am, and doesn't talk much. She doesn't mind that I freak out whenever someone talks to me, and I am constantly being silent. She gets that I'm shy. 

Being around Abbey is refreshing. She's quiet around most people, but once you get to know her she's really bubbly and funny.

We swapped numbers and she promised to call me. I don't know if she will or not. I hope she will.

The people at the school make me feel unwanted. Something about them is off. Their scent isn't distinctively human, like most of the school. Something about them seems familiar, but I can't place where I recognise it. 

I decided to steer well away from the people who unsettle me. 

Which includes that guy Jango. 

In fact, especially Jango.  

Every time I would catch a hint of his scent, I would bolt for it. Fortunately for me I was able to avoid him all day, dragging Abbey around with me. She would look at me strangely when I suddenly changed directions, but doesn't say anything. 

Abbey is one of those people who scare me, with the strange scent, but she isn't scary. I can't figure out what's so different about her, just like the few other people at the school with strange scents.  

After saying goodbye to Abbey, I wait nervously out the front of the school for Iris. If I arrived home without her with me Barbara would have a complete fit and demand I go out and find her. She'd say because I am the older of the two of us it is my responsibility to look after her. 

When Iris finally comes out to meet me, we start our walk home. 

It's that same awkward silence before that settles around us. 

"So..." Iris starts, flipping her blonde fringe out of her eyes. "How was your day?" She asks, looking up at me with her brown eyes. 

I blink a few times, taking in her words. "Um... It was alright." I mumble. "Yours?" I ask her. 

She smiles. "It was good. I made a few friends. They all seem really nice. Though maths sucks. I had it twice today, and I had no idea what the teacher was going on and on about." She pouts. 

I giggle quietly. "Sounds alright." I say quietly. 

"Why are you so quiet? I mean, if you don't mind me asking." She says curiously, peering up at me. 

I redden. "Uh... I dunno?" I say, more as a question than a statement. 

She laughs, tipping her head back. Her blonde hair in her bob cut suits her face. "Did you get any homework?" She asks. 

I groan. "A lot." I grumble. It was true, I got homework in almost every class I had today, which sucks. 

Iris chuckles. "Don't I know the feeling. You know what my math teacher gave me today? A textbook the size of my head that probably weighs more than I do." She exclaims. "And he expects me to take it to class every day!" 

I chuckle. 

"And you know what the worst of it is?" 

I raise an eyebrow.  

"He was smiling when he gave it to me, like he was handing me a hundred bucks or something!" She exclaims loudly, throwing her arms in the air in defeat.