Date Night (4) : Loveria Hua

Retro Premier Theatre
7.35pm

Ishita stood by as Raman spoke to the Manager at the entrance to the Retro Premier Theatre, a small luxury cinema within the huge Reading Cinema complex.

Her hand was comfortably enclosed in his and she stood very close to him, just enjoying the proximity with her husband after so many days apart. She looked with sympathy at the Manager, as her husband turned a glacial stare on him.

"I know sir, Mr Bhalla sir" the man was perspiring profusely as he spoke. "Aap ne saara theatre book kiya tha, lekin yeh teen tickets to do din pehle hi bech diya tha. Baaki saare bookings to cancel kar di humne, but yeh Madam toh maan hi nahi rahi thi. Hamara booking clerk usse convince nahi kar paya. Very dangerous Sir."
(I know Mr Bhalla, Sir. You booked the entire theatre, but we sold these three tickets two days ago. We cancelled all other bookings, but this madam wouldn't listen. Our booking clerk couldn't convince her. Very dangerous sir)

"I don't care" Raman Kumar Bhalla was at his arrogant best. "I booked the entire theatre for my wife and I don't want anyone else there, you understand".

"Raman" Ishita tried to placate him. "It's ok, na. sirf teen aur log hai, they won't disturb us. Chalo na please". (Raman, it's okay. It's just three other people, they won't disturb us. Do come now)

Raman looked at his wife and his scowl dissolved. "They better not disturb us" he drawled with meaning, enjoying the blush that reddened her face.

Turning again to the Manager, he snapped "Try and get rid of them, and if they insist, then make sure they sit far away from us. And start the movie as soon as we sit down. And yes, send us a glass of wine and an orange juice".

"Raman" Ishita protested. "Wine? You have to drive soon"

"Just one glass sweetheart" he responded, before nodding in dismissal at the Manager and ushering his wife into the theatre.

The actual theatre was small, with only forty eight seats, arranged in eight rows of seating, with the six seats in each row divided into 3 pairs. The seats were luxurious sofas, with a moveable armrest between each pair of seats. Each seat had a footrest which could be brought up by a lever on the side, and there were menus on the armrests, from which food and drinks could be ordered.

The screen was surprisingly large for such a small room though, and dominated the space.

Raman chose the centre seats in the last row, settling Ishita down comfortably before taking his own seat An usherette followed them in with the drinks Raman had ordered, and he placed both drinks on the side armrest, pulling up the armrest between their seats, so that they could sit close together, their bodies touching.

He put his arm around Ishita pulling her closer, as the lights were dimmed and the screen lit up. The usherette went out closing the doors softly. They were all alone and the movie began.

Ishita nestled her head comfortably on Raman's shoulder, as the movie credits flashed on the screen. He tightened his arm around her sipping slowly from his glass of wine.

He felt at peace, all the cares of the world forgotten. Whenever Ishita was in his arms, he always felt as though he had won the worlds biggest lottery, as though he was an emperor, invincible, unbeatable.

He did not even pretend to be watching the movie, watching his Ishita's face instead as she looked at the screen. He smiled at her smiles, gushes of love threatening to overpower him as he watched her wrinkle her brow in concentration, her little involuntary exclamations as the picture unfolded causing him to chuckle.