Date Night (3) : Saath Meri Aaogi? Picture Dekhogi?

Bhalla Apartment
Mayur Vihar cont...

Raman walked out of the bedroom, shutting the door closed behind him, and picked up his pouting shouting daughter in his arms.

"Kya hua Ruhi" (What's the matter Ruhi?) he asked, walking with her into her bedroom, which was still occupied by mamaji.

He put her down on her bed and started to look in her wardrobe for her clothes, in readiness to change her uniform. "Itni shor kyon kar rahi thi, beta?" ( Why were you making so much noise baby?)

"Papa, woh Shravan keh raha tha ki woh mujhe apni choti bahein ke saath khelne nahi dega. Aur phir dadi mujhe aap ki room mein aane se rok rahi thi, aur Ishima kahan hai, aur..."
(Papa, Shravan said he won't let me play with his little sister. And then dadi was stopping me from coming into your room and where is Ishima and .....)

"Areh, ab bas bhi karo, meri express train. Din pe din apni Ishima jaisi lecture dena seekh rahi hai"
(Wooh, calm down my express train. I swear you're becoming more and more like your Ishima every day in giving lectures)

He was chuckling at his own joke when his wife, who had overheard him, protested from the door. "Raman, kuchbhi" (Raman, whatever) she said in a complaining tone, and he looked up with a grin to see her frowning at him.

She had rearranged her sari and reapplied her makeup, but there was still an unmistakeable glow on her face.

"I have Ruhi's clothes in our room. Aap ja kar chai pi lijiye, mein Ruhi ko change karti hoon. Is ko homework bhi karna hai" (I have Ruhi's clothes in our room. You go and have your tea, I'll help Ruhi change. She has to do her homework too)

"Chai?" Raman smiled wickedly. "Mujhe toh jiski pyaas thi, woh mein ne pi li"
(Tea? But I've drunk what I was thirsty for)

"Ramann" Ishita blushed and threw a mock punch at him as he walked out the door, giving her a furtive squeeze as he went past her.

"Thik hai, thik ha, mein jaata hoon. Don't forget, 6 o clock, aur Ishita, please pack some fresh clothes for me "
(Fine, fine, I'll go. But don't forget 6 o clock, and Ishita, please pack some fresh clothes for me)

********************************
Raman spent the next two hours with his family, drinking tea and absorbing their little squabbles and affectionate talk. From time to time, his eyes would stray to Ishita, helping Ruhi with her homework, her love for their daughter shining through in her absolute devotion and absorption in her child.

Once, she looked up, her eyes meeting his. They shared a secret sweet smile, their eyes locked and lost in each other, until Ishita blushed and bent her head to Ruhi's books once again.

Toshiji watched them with amusement , sending up silent prayers of thanks to her Matarani. She did not know why her son and daughter in law wanted to keep their new equation a secret, but she would indulge them for the moment.

At around a quarter to six, Raman excused himself to freshen up for his journey. He returned with his bag, and started to say his goodbyes.

Ishita had changed earlier, into another simple cotton saree. She was ready, and knew it was time for her to play her part in her husband's plans for their date night. "Aiyo" she thought with trepidation. "How hard it is to lie"

She walked up to Toshiji, clearing her throat.

"Mummyji, call aya tha clinic se. Emergency hai. Mujhe jaana hai. Jaldi wapas ajaongi."
(Mummyji, I had a call from the clinic, I have an emergency. I need to go but I'll be back soon)