Chapter 16

pic of savanna to the side (on computer) and above on mobile. 

 ♡ Chapter 16  

"Christopher. Sawyer. A word, please." 

My blood ran cold when I heard Celia's voice behind me. She wasn't asking a question. No, it was a demand. 

I had assumed that she was going to let us go tonight, since she hadn't said a word after Chris had bidded the fifty grand on me. She had continued with the auction whilst the both of us quietly returned to our seats. However, it had gradually become more and more obvious that she was displeased. 

The table fell silent. The chatter that had been going on ceased almost immediately and the models stared warily at her. 

Chris's fingers brushed against my hand. I unclenched it and he laced his fingers through mine, giving me a reassuring squeeze.

"Sure," He said calmly as he got up and pulled me along with him. We trailed after Celia, following her out of the ballroom and into a quiet corner of the hotel. 

She whirled around and faced us the moment we were out of public view. Her arms were crossed, her eyes narrowed at our interlocked fingers. 

"Do you think this is some kind of joke, Christopher?" 

"No, I don't," Chris shook his head firmly. "In fact, I don't really understand what you're trying to say." 

Celia's face turned red. "You and," She pointed an accusing finger at me. "Her." 

"What's wrong with me and her?" 

"I understand that she is beautiful and unique, but you have so many girls fawning over of you. Most of them whom are just as exotic-looking and have a better attitude. Not to mention, they have better family backgrounds," Celia said bluntly, ignoring the fact that I was standing right in front of her. 

"Hey!" I said, offended. "My family isn't poor. We're just not millionaires like you." 

She ignored my random outburst. "When are you going to grow up? You're twenty, yet you act like an adolescent child," She said sternly, looking at Chris dead in the eyes. "My patience is running out." 

"Why should you be bothered by what I do? After all, being with Sawyer doesn't affect my work in any way," Chris stated coldly. He wouldn't let go of my hand. "I'm an adult. I can make my own decisions."

"You blew fifty thousand dollars on a girl, Christopher! Even worse, she hasn't even made her official appearance or walked her first show yet." 

"Well, I'm sorry that I spent my hard-earned money on someone I like," Chris snapped sarcastically, towering over his mother. "It's my money. You pay me for modeling for your company, remember?" 

"I'm speaking to you now as your mother, not as your boss," Celia raised her voice slightly before lowering her volume noticeably. She whispered harshly, "I do not approve of you two. That's final." 

"Yeah, yeah," Chris said dismissively. "You'll only approve of Amalia, right?" 

"She's a headstrong, confident and financially stable girl," Celia retorted sharply. 

"And she's also deluded, self-obsessed and straight up annoying." 

I placed my hand on Chris's arm to calm him down. Both of them looked extremely agitated. By the looks of it, I was sure that one of them would get a heart attack by the end of the conversation.