Chapter 15

general idea of sawyer's gown to the right

♡ Chapter 15 

The past two days had been extremely fun, considering that we were stuck in an apartment. Chris and Callista had been keeping me entertained with ancient board games they found in the store room. We held mini fashion shows in the living room wearing the unwanted fashion pieces from Callista's workroom and Chris had killed two birds with one stone by using that opportunity to teach me how to walk like a model.

As much as I had enjoyed the past two days, I was ecstatic to hear of the news that the storm was over. I missed the sun, and I was sick of the gloomy weather.

"The storm has impeccable timing," Chris commented as he gazed at the clock on the wall. "It ended just a few hours before the gala dinner."

Callista jumped up from her slouched position on the sofa. "I forgot about the gala dinner! I don't have a gown."

I stared confusedly at the Prince siblings. "What gala dinner?"

"It's the Prince gala dinner, and it's held annually. All the celebrities and rich entrepreneurs go for the dinner. Mother auctions off the limited editions clothes and half of the proceeds go to the charity that my father is working with. All the Prince models are invited, so it's kind of compulsory for you to go," Callista informed me, "We're all not prepared."

"Hey, I'm prepared. I've already gotten my suit," Chris spoke up, shaking his head slightly. "Mother just texted me. She says that the hair and make-up people are almost here, and she expects us to be ready in two hours." 

"She's not sending me a gown?" I was getting pretty used to Callista or Celia giving me clothes to wear. 

"Apparently, she did. She said that she gave a gown to Callie, and that she was meant to alter it for you," Chris shot his sister a pointed look. 

Callista's face paled. "Wait, was it the frumpy floral pink gown she gave me? I thought that she gave me that to use as spare material. I cut it up and dumped it in the storeroom a few days ago."

We let out simultaneous sighs. 

I couldn't help but ask, "Are we going to go for the dinner in jeans?" 

"I could lend Sawyer one of the gowns from the Princess collection, but Mother's going to kill me for releasing the gown too early," Callista offered slowly, chewing her lip hesitantly. 

"She's going to kill you for cutting up the gown anyway. She can't kill you twice," Chris stated matter-of-factly, rolling his eyes at her. "Just lend Sawyer one of them."

"Fine. Give me five minutes." Callista disappeared into her room, shutting the door behind her loudly. 

Coincidentally, the doorbell rang and a female voice called out, "Is anyone in?" 

Chris beckoned for me to follow him as he got up from the sofa and shuffled towards the door. Lazily, I trailed after him. He unlocked the door and pulled it open, "Come in." 

Two stylists stepped into the apartment, each of them holding a black suitcase. The first woman had long, curly hair and the second had a choppy, short hairstyle.

"It's been so long since I've seen you, Christopher. You've lost weight," The curly-haired brunette woman tutted as Chris gave her a hug. 

"Jeanette! It's definitely been at least a hundred years since I've seen you," Chris joked as he smiled warmly at her. 

"You must be Sawyer," The blonde woman acknowledged me, her eyes lighting up in recognition. "Chris has told me so much about you." 

"Really?" I peered at Chris. A faint tinge of pink appeared on his cheeks. 

"I don't know what you're talking about, Sophia," Chris laughed sheepishly, avoiding eye contact with me. 

"I don't see what's wrong with that," Sophia shrugged with a small smirk on her face, "She's beautiful." 

My face flushed radish red and I stared at my feet, hoping that they couldn't see how embarrassed I was. Clearing my throat, I attempted to change the subject, "How long does it take to get ready for the gala dinner?" 

Sophia clapped her hands together. "It'll take about an hour to do your hair and make-up if everything goes smoothly." 

"I'll do your hair and make-up and Jeanette will do Callista's to save time," Sophia instructed as she started unzipping the suitcase. It was filled with straighteners, curlers and make-up palettes. "You can take a seat on the sofa."

The second I sat down, Sophia pulled the hair tie from my hair and started brushing it out. "Celia told me that your hair has to be let down," She told me as she brushed the hair from my face. "I won't do anything crazy. I'm just adding extensions and giving them soft curls." 

"That sounds interesting." 

The next two hours flew by rapidly. Sophia spent the time curling my hair and applying a ton of make-up on my face. It was extremely hectic; the two stylists were constantly shouting at each other, Callista peeking out of her workshop periodically to check on me, Zeus sniffing the make-up suitcase and Chris walking aimlessly around the apartment in his classic black suit.

I was surprised when Celia Prince stepped into the apartment two hours later, already decked out in an elaborate gown and flawless make-up. 

"Are you all ready? The driver is here," She said loudly. Instantaneously, Callista popped out of her workroom and Chris stepped out of the kitchen. They were all dressed up and ready to go. 

Callista chucked the gown and shoes at me. I shuffled into the nearest bathroom to change out of my clothes.  

To say that it was a beautiful gown was a serious understatement. The gown was faded blue in colour. The top part of it was a tight-fitting bodice that was adorned with small, sparkling crystals. It fit me snugly until my waist, where it fanned out. 

My shoes were three inch pumps. Every single bit of the shoe was adorned with sparkling crystals and gems. They were gorgeous, even though they were quite uncomfortable. 

"That's not the dress that I wanted you to wear," Celia said sternly as she eyed my gown. "Isn't this from the collection you were designing?" 

"I kind of ripped up the gown you passed to me," Callista admitted slowly, "This was a last resort, I swear." 

"We'll discuss this after the gala," She waved her hand dismissively. Then, turned to me stiffly. "You look nice in the gown, Sawyer." 

 * * *

The dinner was held in the biggest ballroom of the hotel. There were approximately forty tables, each seating about ten people. Chris had told me that the richest businessmen and celebrities were seated nearest to the stage so that it would be easier for them to bid. 

Chris and I had been assigned to table twenty-one, smack dab in the middle of the ballroom, whilst Callista was sitting with her mother at table one. Our table was filled with tall, beautiful men and women, all whom looked out of place next to the celebrities and millionaires. 

They introduced themselves to me one by one in their many accents, telling me their exotic names that my brain couldn't register. The only two people whose names I could remember were Savanna and Alexei Castor, a male model from Greece. He introduced himself to me as Chris's best friend.

"Are you thinking of bidding for anything?" Savanna leaned over and asked me. She looked like she was wearing quite a bit of make-up, but it only enhanced her features. 

"I probably can't afford anything," I shrugged, "What about you?"

"There's this really nice skirt from the Spring collection that I've been thinking of getting," She pursed her bright red lips. "There were only fourteen on sale, and they sold out within an hour. The runway piece is being auctioned tonight."

"It must be a really pretty skirt if you're willing to compete with millionaires for it." 

"I think I'll have a good chance at it," Savanna said confidently, a glint in her eye. "After all, it was tailored to suit me."

Before I had a chance to reply, I heard Callista's voice ring out over the speakers. 

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen," There was a hint of humor in her tone, "Welcome to the 9th annual Prince gala dinner. We will be beginning the auction as the first course is served, starting with the winter collection of 2011. Please enjoy your dinner." 

There was polite clapping from everyone. The first dish was then served by the waiters that had been on stand-by. The dish was a small slice of smoked salmon with a side of fresh vegetables. It was miniscule and probably wouldn't fill an eighth of my stomach. 

However, since I was starving, I wasn't going to complain. I picked up the fork and knife, and dug into my meal. 

"You're actually eating that?" 

I stopped chewing. "Why not?" 

"One tiny slice contains a ton of fats," Savanna said, staring longingly at her slice of smoked salmon. "With the show coming up so soon, we're not meant to eat it." 

The other models weren't touching their plates either. They looked around uneasily at other guests, whom were happily feasting on their appetizers and taking sips of their wine. Our table didn't even have wine; we were given fancy glasses filled with sparkling water. 

"It's not like they can do anything if we eat it," I said slowly, trying to reason with the stick-thin models. "I'm sure you all have been starving yourselves and working out like crazy for the fashion show. This is just a one-night thing and you should be enjoying yourself." 

"Celia could take us off the show," An Asian model spoke up, her doll-like face scrunched up in worry. 

"I doubt that she'll be able to kick you off. The clothes are tailored to fit you, so she can't possibly find someone else to replace you in such short notice," I reasoned as I nudged Chris. "She can't, right?"