Michael (1)

I curled up into a ball on my bed, tears already having soaked through the pillow I wad clutching to my chest. I was still processing what that asshole of a blind date had done.

While those thoughts ran through my mind, I was unaware of how loudly I was crying, and of the fact that Michael, my roommate, was home.

My bedroom door creaked open, just a sliver. "Are you alright?" came Michael's voice, much calmer and softer than I'd ever heard in my life.

I tried to give him an actual response, but I choked on tears. He rushed to sit beside me, letting me curl up next to him, laying my head in his lap. He rubbed my shoulder and back, letting me take my time to form sentences.

"Ya' know, um," I sniffed. "You know hat date I was supposed to go on? The blind date with a friend of a friend?"

He nodded, patting my back. "Did something go wrong?"

"Everything went wrong!" I burst into tears again, and Michael seemed surprised that I had yelled. I was always never the super loud type, even around my best friends. Even at such a sad time for me, he must have never thought I would yell.

Still, he let me have a moment, again, pouring tears all over his legs and on my bed. The sight was probably pitiful, and I made a mental note to wash my sheets and Michael's clothes as soon as I had talked everything out.

"The guy," I whispered, "he was really nice, and he did everything right - he held doors and shit, offered to buy dinner before I even ordered, all that. So, I decided I wouldn't hide anything, and I told him about me being bisexual, and..."

I couldn't finish the sentence, just started to cry, much softer than before.

"What did he say?" Michael asked, in almost a pissed off voice.

I whimpered, curling closer against his legs. "He called me a freak, and started yelling at me in public. People from all over the restaurant looked at me like I was the bad guy, and I just couldn't handle it, so I ran back home."

Now that it was all out, everything about that date hit me again, and I began to sob once more. I didn't even bother trying to hear what Michael was saying - I was too focused on what had to be the most embarrassing time of my life.

Michael grabbed my sides, moving me to sit up, where he hugged me close. It was probably the most affectionate, most heartfelt moment he and I had shared yet.

"That guy was an ass," he seethed. "You're amazing, whether you like girls, boys, or both! If he doesn't see it, he's not important in your life at all."

My lip quivered, and I buried my face in his chest. The tears had slowed, especially with the actions from Michael. I didn't know what was happening, and the stress that had tired me out was almost relieved while I was in his arms. It felt like the world was just...nothing.

The feeling stopped when  he pulled away, standing up from my bed. "Maybe we should wash your sheets," he teased, sounding  more and more like his old self. He gabe me a playful grin, but if I looked hard enough, it seemed so fake. Perhaps it was just the light or the tears, because he really seemed like he was trying to cheer me up.

"And maybe your clothes," I giggled. "I'm ossry, I didn't mean to make them all gross."

He shrugged and helped me pull the sheets off my bed. "It's fine, they'll be wahsed," he told me.

~~~

The next day came, and Michael brought me to see my friends at his work once more.

Roosterteeth, the amazing company that he got to work for. Half of the time, he just played games!