Ch. 1: The Beginning

Ch: 1 The Beginning 

Song For Chapter: Carried Away - Passion Pit 

"I'M GOING TO MISS YOU guys this summer!" Tenderly, I hugged my two friends as we sat by the school's pond and played in the tall grass. "You both have to attend the wedding."

     The air was humid and warm, but a nice spring breeze wafted in from off the mountains and through the valley where Sorcellerie School for the Gifted resided.

     Lana rolled her hazel eyes and let out a low chuckle, one that I immediately knew the reasoning behind. I watched her sprawl back against the trunk of the wide oak tree that our group was nestled under. "I can't believe Trey is getting married," she teased. We both snuck a quick glance in Jenna's direction; as we both expected, she was pouting, her full lips downturned as she sat on her tree branch, legs flailing in the air above our heads, wisps of downy blonde hair gliding on the wind.

     Jenna sighed, her pale cheeks flushed from the heat, and crossed her arms over her chest, huffing a defiant air. "This isn't fair. He and I are made for each other," Jenna teased. "We're soul mates!"

     I laughed and shook out my brown locks. Jenna's obsession with my brother, Trey, had always slightly disturbed me. I was happy he was getting married. Hopefully Jenna would realize that he was not into her, nor would he ever. Really, it had been a joke between Jenna and I ever since we'd met that had just gone on too long. Kinda like a fond memory that no one found funny anymore.

     Lana pulled a clump of moist grass out of the ground and threw it at our disillusioned Jenna. "Eww! Trey's nineteen! We are just finishing our third year, he's got to be five years older than you, blockhead."

     Jenna merely replied by sticking out her tongue and lightly jumped from her spot on the branch, wobbling a bit as her feet met the grassy hill beneath the tree. "I think it's time we started to head back. My mom said she'd be picking me up at eleven-thirty," Jenna said.

      'That was a sudden change in emotion,' I thought with a sarcastic tone.

     "When are you leaving Elle?" Lana flipped her red hair over her shoulder as she pulled herself up from the ground. For a moment, I was distracted by the crazy, fire-engine red hue. Over the years that I'd known Lana, her hair had been gradually dyed a more and more obnoxiously bright colour, eventually turning from its natural blonde to this one, which was almost stop-sign reminiscent. Somehow it worked on her. After all, everything looks fantastic on you when you're a quarter Veela.... and when you were threatening enough for most people.

     I sighed and looked at my pocket watch. The second-hand tick-tick-ticked away with a steady rhythm. "Gladis said she would be here at eleven-thirty, so I'm leaving around the time you are, Jenna."

     Lana groaned and her auburn head in defeat. "But, you always stay late with me. What changed?" She asked.

      Jenna pulled her wavy hair into a high ponytail as we walked back to our dorm room, dodging the throngs of students moving out and randomly placed luggage blocking the halls of the cobblestone walkways. "Yeah, usually I'm the first one to leave, then Lana, then you." She cast me a wary look, which quickly turned to feverish hope. "Wait! Is Trey picking you up?" She jumped up and down with a new pep in her step.

     I sighed. 'Secret is out'.

     "Yes, he is, but only because he and I are going to lunch before he leaves for London." Trey was anxious as his wedding grew closer and closer. Since his bride-to- be, Allie Wanger, is from England all of her relatives are there. It made more sense for our small family to travel to hers then vise versa. I told Trey that we could have lunch before he flies there; I can always calm him down.