Ch. 6: Taking A Tumble

ELLE

     I frowned and attempted to smooth down my bedhead. "Elle," I mumbled at him. Looking down at my throbbing toe, I realized that I'd jammed it on my trunk for school. Jerk. I glared at it before turning away with a huff. The trunk swung open with a click and a low creeaaak, as I grabbed an outfit for the day: long-sleeved flannel, some jeans, and a pair of hiking boots.

      "Loo is to your left; only one connected to a room." Fred yawned and stretched his arms over his head, causing his fiery red hair to fall over his eyes. He was lanky enough that his arms knocked into the top of the headboard above him, cavalier in his wandering eyes as they peaked out at me, curious and roaming. 

     With my arms full of the day's clothes, I watched him for a moment too, studying his dust-freckles splattered over his pale features, red hair alight in the rising dawn. He was older than me or Hermione, which I knew right away.

     Must be one of the twins Hermione was talking about, I thought. I tore my eyes from him with a shrug and a grunt and peered around for the door he was talking about. 

       "Thanks," I said under my breath with a sharp eye, grabbing my bag of toiletries before giving him a glare and stalking over to the bathroom. Fred Weasley didn't impress me with his rude comment and stupid grin. He watched me limp, painfully to the bathroom with my stubbed toe.

     I locked the door behind me and turned on the faucet, splashing cold water on my face to wake me up a bit. "It's gonna be a long day, Elle," I told my drowned-rat expression, water dripping from my chin.

     I shut off the sink and threw on my clothes, running a brush through my hair. "You both have the same frizzy hair." Fred's voice rang through my head. I did not know why this bothered me so much; I never really cared how I looked and I know that I don't have frizzy hair. 

      Frowning at my poofed hair, I pulled my wand out of my boot and pointed it at my hair "Lisse" I said, watching as my hair suddenly became smooth and silky with soft curls.

     For a moment, I merely looked at my reflection. I really wanted to make a good impression today, despite the awkward awakening. I poked at my rosy cheeks and examined my pores, being sure to wipe away any sleep from the corners of my eyes.

     I fought a sigh and applied some mascara before walking out to meet the Weasleys. All the while, I tried to ignore the fact that if it was the least bit humid today, that spell would wear off at the snap of Mother Nature's twisted, sadistic fingers.

       It turns out that I was right when I had assumed that this room was close to the kitchen. When I walked into the dining room, a fairly small group of people were sitting down and talking amongst themselves. 

     No one seemed to notice I had entered until a short, plump woman came into the room holding a large plate of pancakes. She was a full-bodied redhead with eyes like embers that crackled as she took me in, her cheeks red and weathered by age and delight. She was wearing a colourful apron caked with a light dusting of flour and a happy smile on her face as she flittered about, her red curls bouncing as she went, like a mother robin feathering her nest, making sure everything was in place. 

     She took a short glance at me and came to my side, juggling the plate. "Oh, Hermione dear. Did you get those two up? I know they're a hassle in the morning."