Ch. 20: Bets & Burns

Author's Note: WOAH you guys! 20th chapter?? Can I get some votes for the big 2-0? Ahahah, well I have to give a shout out to ALL of you! Seriously, from the avid voters, to the constant commentors, and to you-silent reader who never comments or votes-I still love you too!

Without each and everyone of you I would most definitly not have made it this far-and probably would have abandoned this story long ago-so thank you ALL!

[ i kept this, because i thought it was funny... and kinda sweet -- 2022]

Ch. 20: Bets & Burns

     Rita Skeeter thrummed her nine-inch, hot pink nails across her chin devilishly and flashed her Cheshire cat grin. "How deliciously juicy! My my my, -- my avid 'Me, Myself, and I...' readers will just be eating this up!" She spread her hands out as if to paint a picture, a gleam of a far off place in her eye as she described the headlines. 

     The flash of the camera went off again, but this time pointed in Hermione and I's direction. "Star-crossed lovers' desperate farewell. Meanwhile, jealous sister verbally attacks reporter, but is held back by handsome admirer!" She licked her lips and giggled in excitement. "This will be one of my best stories yet!"

"What are you doing here?" A deep voice called out, frustrated. I pulled away from Cedric to see Victor Krum, standing protectively in front of Harry and Hermione. "This time is for family and friends only. Get out." He crossed his arms over his chest-I took that as a sign that he wasn't afraid to move this vile woman forcefully.

      Frowning at the fact that Krum was ruining her fun moment by torturing everyone, she sighed and slowly made her way out of the tent with her cameraman. "Let's get out of here, Frank."

     "Good riddance," I growled at her as the curtain closed, keeping her far away from us.

     Fleur jumped up from the bench she was seated on with a weary look. Her angelic blonde hair was tied back into a tight ponytail in preparation for the coming Tournament, but her brow was firm as she scolded me in French. "Pourquoi*," she started, but then switched to broken English. "Why vould you do t'at? Now zhe vill put it in ze paper." She strode over to me, eyes dancing in hidden amusement all the while. "You and Lana, meddling elves."

       Sighing, I ran a hand through my hair, knowing she was right. I should learn to control myself better. "Je n'ai aucune idée,*" I attempted my butchered French but coughed and sputtered and eventually decided English was more for me. "I'm stupid, I guess," I muttered.

      No doubt Rita would make me out to be a psycho in her article.

Hermione was still pink in the face when Dumbledore waltzed into the tent, holding a heavy looking bag. "Gather round every one! Time to-" He looked over and saw me and Hermione standing awkwardly in the background. "Ah, Miss. Granger, Miss. Granger. What are you two doing here?"

     Blushing deeper, Hermione rubbed her left arm and looked at her shoes, completely embarrassed. "We were just leaving, Professor."

     "Ah, very well-off you go!" He smiled and waved us off.

     "There you two are!" Jenna frowned, her eyes immediately sensing that we had not been having fun whilst in our absence. "What happened?"

     A humourless smile etched on my face and I glared up at the sky. It was a grey afternoon, and the clouds loomed overhead with a cold embrace but didn't seem to threaten any rain. "Oh, don't worry. I'm quite sure you'll see the real story on 'My, Myself, and I...' tomorrow, or next week," I grumbled and threw myself down onto the wooden bench next to Lana and Hermione.