Ch. 38: Life or Death

FRED

     I ran a calloused hand through my long strands of hair, catching a few tangles as my stomach flipped in knots. The crumpled letter from Elle sat, unopened, in my lap. The low light from the dying flame in the Gryffindor Common Room hardly brightened the place or the ambience. I wasn't sure what I was doing. I guess, somewhere deep down inside my chest, I was waiting for her to come back. 

     My eyes kept jumping towards the Portrait Hole every time I heard a noise, hoping to see the rambunctious Granger glide through the door with a grin on her face and a snide comment about me never sleeping.

      I felt dirty and cheap. Things were so messed up, it was hard to sort everything out.

     Despite my wishes, I knew Elle wasn't coming back any time soon. I'd seen the look on her face. 

     My fingers danced across the lip of the envelope, flicking the red flap gingerly but unwilling to commit. I hadn't opened it yet. I almost didn't want to know. I didn't want to come to terms with the fact I'd just crushed Elle completely -- and, I didn't even mean to. It was Angelina.

      My stomach clenched once more at the thought. I'd wanted to run out there and tell her right away, I wanted to explain everything, and somehow convince her about how difficult my feelings were. Here I was, being kissed by one of my best mates since I was ten, then suddenly, the door opens and Elle is there -- upset and apologizing. I was just confused about everything. Everything happened so fast, I could barely process it.

      Taking a deep breath of resolve, I sat up straight and grabbed the letter, holding the opening tightly between my thumb and forefinger. Every time I went to open it, a different scene flashed behind my eyes. 

      The most important of those was Malfoy. What did he do to Elle? Why was she with him in the first place? 'If he'd hurt her ... I'd --' my heart reeled at even the thought of it.

     Sighing, I ran a hand over my face to force the worrying thoughts from my mind. I figured I'd wait down in the Common Room for her, then I could explain everything properly. But, as I glanced at the Grandfather Clock in the corner of the Common Room, I had a feeling she wouldn't be coming back anytime soon. It was almost 4 a.m. already.

      Slowly, I pulled the scarlet envelope open and stroked the messy, broad cursive scrawled across the parchment inside. 

'Hey, Fred
Don't laugh. I know this is stupid, but hear me out!'

     There was a dark spot on the page where her quill had paused for a long time, pooling up as she thought of what to say.

'I've been thinking about this for a little bit, and I just couldn't find the words to say it. So, here it goes. Complete honesty. I think you're the best.

You make me laugh 'til my sides ache, and you know how to match my sarcasm. And, ever since the Yule Ball, I can't shake the fact that you've wormed your way into my head. I'd like to spend more nights with you as we did at the Ball (you know, excluding almost being stood up).

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, would you be my Valentine?'

      I had been worried that if I made a move to tell her that I liked her, she would laugh it off and walk away. But, reading this made me regret not saying something to her sooner. But now... now I knew. And now, it was too late.