Chapter 8; Figures

Grace's POV

"Hey it's me, Grace, for about the 20th time. Still waiting for a call back. So,.... just call back when you can I guess. Bye."

I hang up my phone and place it in my slipper. Don't ask me why. It's a strange habit.

"Mom he's not picking up so just forget it and give me his piece. He won't mind!" I yell to my Mom from my bedroom.

"Don't be ridiculous." She yelled back.

I sigh and head back downstairs. "Mom, he's upset with me because I pushed him away." I sit on a stool in the kitchen.

"Honestly, you and that boy are-"

She was cut off by the sound of someone ringing the door bell. "I'll get it." I say as I head to the door. "And just settle that gorgeous piece of pie on my plate."

I open the door, surprised by who I see. "Nick? What are you doing here."

He embraces me with a hug which only enlarges my surprise levels.

"We have to go now."

Then he practically drags me out the front door before I can tell my Mom that I'm leaving.

"Nick! What are you-"

He pushes me into the passenger seat of his car and closes the door. He jumps in the drivers seat, closes his door, and starts driving down the street like a maniac.

"Nick what's going on?" I manage to say as I grip my seat, afraid of a car accident.

"Seatbelt." He says without looking at me. I sigh and put on my seatbelt.

I look over at Nick. He's not his usual playful self. No, this is a different Nick. This Nick looks terrified. Scared even. Which only makes me uneasy.

"Nick tell me what's going on. Now."

We stop at a red light. "Ryan..."

I look at him, confused. "What about Ryan? What's wrong?"

Nick's phone buzzes before he can respond. I watch him closely as he checks his phone. He completely freezes. He tosses his phone down and hits the gas hard, causing me to slam into my seat.

I sit up, annoyed. "Listen, I didn't ask to be kidnapped Nick. You just took me. What's going on?"

"Ryan is drunk, roaming the streets doing god knows what. So maybe you could, oh I don't know, actually help me look for him."

"Oh my god. Really?"

"No, I'm lying because I love wasting gas by driving crazily down the streets."

"Well stop driving so fast. I can't see anything with you going 90 miles an hour. And you don't have to be such a jerk."

He slows down to probably 60 miles an hour. I cross my arms and hang practically half my body out the window.

"Stop it." Nick says.

I climb back in and stare at Nick. He's seriously concentrated on the road, how could he have seen me out the corner of his eyes? Then I start to wonder...

"Why did you bring me along? I haven't even hanged with Ryan for a few days."

"I know you haven't. I've had you with me the whole time."

" Yeah, I'm highly aware of that."

My phone suddenly starts going off from inside of my slipper. Nick looks at me oddly as I bend down to get my phone. "Don't judge me." I point as I read the Caller I.D.