Chapter: Twelve is a Crowd

Chapter "Twelve" is a Crowd

"How long did you sleep?" I paused at the voice half way through the lounge room and looked up to see Chris sitting on my couch, eating my food and I narrowed my eyes.

"What are you doing?" I snapped irritated, it didn't help that I woke up with a massive headache and and no recollection of last night. Surely I wasn't that drunk, or did I take medication with alcohol? I shrugged it off going to the medicine box and grabbing some panadol to get rid of the headache.

"What's the plan for tonight?" 

I looked at Chris as I took them, man I hated swallowing pills, "What's happening tonight?" I asked confused. He raised an eyebrow at me, "Max's housewarming, we are going right?" Oh right, that. How did I forget?

I looked at the time, it was already noon, I hadn't realized I had slept for that long, "Yea I guess, is Jan coming?"

I rubbed my forehead, it was like someone was hammering me from the sides.

"Yea, fine we'll go," I said. Housewarming, especially Max's meant there was going to be plenty of alcohol, my mission was to steer clear from it. I nodded ignoring Chris speaking and walked back to my bedroom, I might get in another nap before tonight.

I had no recollection of how I even got into bed without killing myself.

*

The loud noises and smell of beer was all too familiar as we made out way into the new house, it was a rented house so I had no idea why there was even a house warming. But boys will be boys, any excuse for a party and they will have it.

"Charlie my man!" I looked up as I was engulfed by a hulk, a literal hulk, Max. 

"Hey Max," I slapped his hand away as he ruffled my hair ruining my perfect pony tail, "Here," He shoved a can of half empty beer into my hands, no Charlie you aren't drinking beer. I smiled anyway and handed him over a housewarming gift.

"Nice place," I said, it really was. It was a cute beach house, who didn't love beach house's, especially when the beach was literally your backyard. 

I followed him as he spoke and led us out into the backyard, also known as the beach where there was already a bonfire going with boys sitting around it. Man I missed this.

"Doesn't this remind you of old days?" He asked and I laughed, it did, it really did. Every summer we would be doing this on the beach, except it's been year and I wasn't one of the hgih school students anymore, I taught them.

Chris grabbed the beer off me, "Aw thanks babe," and I rolled my eyes letting him as Jan shifted on her feet beside me as we found a decent spot to sit down. She was freezing in her shorts and tank top, and this was exactly why I wore jeans.

I had told her it was going to be cold and no one cared what she looked like at a house warming, especially with old friends but she didn't lesson and to Chris's joy she was freezing. It was hilarious to watch her. She grabbed the vodka bottle and a plastic cup, "This should warm me up," she muttered her teeth chattering. 

I rolled my eyes reaching for a coke can.

"Aw, is Charlie being sober tonight?" I looked up to see Elliot and smiled as he waved at me.

"She had enough to drink last night," Jan answered for me and Elliot chuckled chucking a packet of chips our way.

"Charlie, you're losing your touch," I smiled, we were party kids back in the day, but that was back in the day. Why does that make me sound old when it was really only a few years ago.