Chapter The Cat has "nine" lives

"Miss are you okay?" I was till you said that, no, bad girl your students were being friendly. I looked up too see Matt and his 'gang' as I walked down the corridor.

"I am fine, thank you boys,"

They nodded but I could feel them staring as I limped past them in my ankle cast, it was more of a really really tight cloth than a cast but it made walking a pain in the donkey. 

Damn it Charlie, from now on don't try planning evil things because it was called Karma. I walked into the staff room sighing as I smelt coffee, yes, come to mother.

"Ahh Miss Fort," I winced hearing the voice, great my morning could not get any better. I looked at the table where Mr. Cameron was sitting eating his breakfat which was toast, which looked more on the burnt side. 

I wrinkled my nose at all the crumbles that were on the table, "You look great this morning,"

I raised an eyebrow, in my cast I was sure I looked wonderful as I couldn't run away fast enough from him.

I simply gave him a smile and a nod walking to the coffee machine, this school really needs to invest in better coffee if they have shit staff like him. And if I remembered correctly the sport staff had their own staff room since their building was so far away.

Hell I should have gone to the Math's department's staff room. Thinking of this I turned around ignoring whatever he was saying and rushed down the corridor as fast as I could towards the smaller staff rooms.

It was a much longer walk but at least it was worth it. 

Ms. Figes was the only other teacher who wasn't a maths staff but was in our staff room since all her classes were in this building, she rushed up greeting me as I opened the door.

"How are you feeling, you took quite a fall,"

"I'm good now," in fact it hurt so much I felt like actually calling to pull in a sickie, I had taken those pain killers for granted, they were absolute heaven and I should have blackmailed Michael some more to let me take some home. 

"Here sit down, I'll make you some coffee," I sent her a grateful smile as I limped to my desk and sat down sighing as I placed my bag down, this staff room was private, it had three office's and a little kitchen, if you could even call it that. It was a makeshift counter where we had some kitchen appliances and managed to fit a small bar fridge to keep the milk in it.

"So," said Figes placed a cup on my desk and pulled a chair up. I nearly moaned as I took a sip of the warm liquid and met her eyes, "So What?" I asked as she wriggled her eyebrows.

"Who was he?"

Who? Oh right, Nikov, I was sure she was talking about him. I waved a hand swallowing another large mouthful so I didn't have to speak. "No one really,"

Hopefully Michael like promised would call up our mothers and tell them about my recent trip to the hospital and that would be strike two. And hopefully two strikes would be enough.

"He doesn't seem like no-one," she said crossing one long leg over another straightening her skirt out, man she was brave to wear a skirt at a boy's school, especially one that stopped a few centi-metres above her knee.

The last time I wore a pencil skirt that went past my knees some student had "accidentally' spilt his water bottle on me, never again, well that was a lie. I just tried to keep a distance from them when I did rock  up in a longer than needed pencil skirt. 

And in those rare hot summers when i did, I made sure I kept another spare skirt in the office, or wore stockings underneath.

"What?" I asked realized I had missed what she said. She rolled my eyes laughing and moved something on my table in front of me, how did I not notice them before.

"I said, I wish my no-ones send me flowers and a get well card,"

I stared at the flowers reaching and then froze, sunflowers. Was this meant to be another plan that I was out of? But then I saw the large writing on the card

They're fake

Figes followed my gaze and lifted them up reading them out loud and then touched the flower, "My lord he is right, they are fake, that's weird,"

After her confirmation I picked the bouquet up, there were three sunflowers and I nearly laughed as I turned them around in my hand, they had a light perfumed smell to them.

"It's an inside joke," I told her not wanting to go into too much detail, I hadn't even known you could get fake sunflowers this side.

"Well at least they won't wilt," Figes got up walking back to her office which was opposite mine and I smiled feeling the petal. 

It was strange, him sending me flowers, but it was a nice type of strange. 

*

After a long day of work the last thing I needed was to smell the too familiar perfume as I walked to my apartment, I heard the tapping of her foot before I saw her standing, my mother.

"Hi mum," I said limping over as she squished me into a tight hug, she really was a good mother, just sometimes annoying when it came to marriage. 

"Oh honey, look what he did to you,"

Perfect I thought smiling, damn it I should have brought the fake flowers home and scared her a bit. I opened the door letting her in and nearly screamed as something flew past us.

"What was that?" my mother screeched.

"A magpie," I said closing the door and looking around, I thought that thing had gone, I had locked it in my room this morning, I had a mini heart attack to see it staring at me when I woke up, sitting on the end of my bed.

"Why is there a magpie Charlotte!"

I bit my lip trying not to laugh at her face and chucked my bag down, "He left the door open and it came in," I said, well not a complete lie, but why not use this circumstance to my advantage. But it back fired and my mum smiled, a smile that looked really creepy.

"Aww, he came into your apartment,"

I raised an eyebrow, "It's not what you think he just dropped me off after this," I pointed to my leg, another bad move becuase she swooned, literally swooned on the spot. 

"Wasn't that nice of him," she looked around walking to the couch and gently lowered herself smoothing out her dress, "I mean if he was brave enough to take a step into this dump, maybe I should give him another chance,"

Well fuc*

I bit my lip, that definitley did not go in my way. What was he with getting all these chances, he was like a cat!

"And that bird," she said waving a hand, I looked at where she was pointing too, it was on the TV again, "Get rid of it please, it will leave it's business everywhere,"

It's shit mum, it will shit everywhere. But of course I doubt she would say that word. 

"Do you want something to drink?" I asked her. She shook her head getting up, "I just came by to see how you were going," of course she wasn't going to stay here for more time than necessary, "Oh and we are meeting with the Pallas family for a barbecue," 

I groaned, this was not going to be fun, but then again I did want to eat sausages. 

"Nikov will come pick you up the morning, please wear something lovely, not this," she said waving a hand, "Maybe a nice dress, oh yes the yellow one I bought you for Christmas but you never wore it," yea because it was a size too small and I wanted to breathe.

"Bye darling,"

"Bye mum love you," 

I sighed flopping onto the couch as she closed the door behind her and took out my phone, I should call him, thank him for the flowers and then make a plan for the weekend. Yes, but I chickened out and looked at the magpie staring at me.

"Yea, now I know why you sat over there," I thought, the couch smelt like my mother.