14. Dangerous Territory✅

Edited by LadyRailly

Dedicated to AngelaRodz for the song suggestion :-)

-------------------------------------------------

"The girl said she was too cynical about love, but how could you not be? On the surface, relations between men and women were all soft kisses and white gowns and hand-holding. But underneath they were a scary, complicated, ugly mess, just waiting to rise to the surface."

-J. Courtney Sullivan; Commencement

Chapter:14 Dangerous Territory

"Come on, Viveca. Just drop it, will you? I apologised to you a number of times. Let it loose. please?" Zevi whined, pulling onto my arm. We were now heading back home and Dylan being Dylan, decided to drive the car.

I jerked his hand away and scooted towards the window, huffing. He jumped from the passenger seat towards me like a baboon and the thought itself made me stifle a laughter.

"I thought we were best friends, Zevi. Best friends care for each other, not pull each other's legs!" Since I had no extra shirt, Dylan gratefully lent me his suit and I wore it on top of my drenched clothing to keep the cold away, though I swore I'd catch a cold sooner or later.

"Yeah, but you did enjoy that moment you had with Dylan, didn't you?" He wiggled his eyebrows and I almost choked on my drink at his bluntness. I shot him a death glare and jabbed a finger firmly against his chest. He raised both of his hands in surrender but I know that he was definitely smiling like a cheshire cat inside. I sighed in sheer annoyance. Life can't get any better. How I badly wish for the ground to swallow me? It was the second time my cheeks flushed at Zevi's accusation.

"Okay, maybe you didn't! Anyways I'm sorry, sorry, sorry-"

"Will you two just shut up?!" Dylan grunted, holding my gaze through the rear-view mirror, obviously trying to hide that lazy grin of his. He must be feeling so accomplished, mustn't he?

I felt a subtle poke on my arm and glanced at Zevi, who pouted.

"Okay, fine! I forgive you!"

"Thank you!" he chimed, hugging me for a brief second. "Hey, isn't that Imagine Dragons' song playing on the radio? You know, it's one of my all time favourites."

"Same here!" It was their song, named 'Demons', playing in the background.

I wanna hide the truth,

I wanna shelter you,

But with the beast inside,

There's nowhere we can hide

I tapped my feet along with the music. Wait, it isn't the singer's voice that piped up. I glanced at the source and it was indeed the demon who was humming along with the lyrics of the song. He did have a husky voice which gave me shrills down my belly, but have to say Dylan Andrews Edmon is a great singer and I was aware of that during the times we dated. He'd try to irritate me by singing in a high pitched voice, which earned him a hard smack from me. He was the school's rockstar for no reason!

I nearly flinched when he briefly stared at me for a second, with a genuine smile tugging on his lips. Eventhough I never wished to reciprocate the gesture, here I was smiling back at him. He probably might be pondering over our old memories. Did he still remember them or did he evade them, just like he erased me out of his life?

When you feel my heat,

Look into my eyes,

It's where my demons hide,