Chapter 20

Chapter 20
"It's a simple yes or no!"
**

"W-who's there?"

The door opens fully, letting in the bright light. I raise my hand above my eyes to block out the light.

"It's me J. V be need to leave, now!"

I lower my hand and notice J standing their in all black with a gun in his hand. A look of shock and panic are etched on his face. I look down at my self and see why. I wave him off and balance myself with the wall as I try to stand. I hiss in pain and grab my ribs. I hunch over to keep the pain at a bearable throb. J runs over and wraps my arm around his neck.

"Put all your wait on me," he looks to me for a reply. All I manage to do is a simple nod, but am distracted by the sudden fire of guns. I look to J and his face darkens. He says a word that would earn him a smack up the side of the head by my mom. I limp as he drags me along, we run down a long hallway that is made of concrete like my cell. I whimper in pain as I try not to walk on my left foot.

"I know V. We're almost there." I feel metal pressed against my hand. I look down to see J handing me a gun. I nod and take the gun, the heaviness of it feels foreign to me.

"Hey!" J spins around with me, and we see the man that tortured me at the end of the hall. Fear pumps my adrenaline to raise the gun and shoot it. I raise and aim it at his head. He also raises his gun and points it towards J. Either I pull the trigger or J dies, for real this time. My hand shakes as I point it at his head, the gun feels like its getting heavier by the second. My whole arm shakes as I look at the man. It's like I go back in time, cause the man at the end of the hall now looks like Phoenix. If I pull this trigger I shoot Phoenix, or J gets shot. My heart beats so fast that I'm surprised it hasn't quiet. I have to chose between J or Phoenix.

But it isn't Phoenix, it's the man who tortured me. I close my eyes and pull the trigger. The gun rattles the bones in my hands as smoke comes out of the end. My hand falls to my side as I watch the man fall to the ground with a thud. Blood puddles out around him, coming from the bullet hole I put between his eyes. J tugs me around and pulls me to run. I just killed a man. But if not he would have killed J.

Does it matter, you killed him.

Tears spill down my face from the pain and the thought of me murdering someone. I keep reminding myself it was him or J.

Him or J.

Him. Or. J.

We come to another man at the end of the hall. His eyes widen when he sees me, he points the gun at me. J reacts faster and shoots the man in the chest. He doesn't even have time to cry out in pain before falling to the ground. Gun fire sounds at the other hall we are getting ready to turn down. My adrenaline pumps my heart faster and faster. My breath becomes rigid from the running and sharp pain in my ribs. I grind my teeth to keep myself from shouting from the pain.

We reach the end of the hall, J peers around the corner. He lets out a string of curse words before turning to me.

"They were prepared for a fight. They must have caught on sooner than we thought."

"Who's we?"

"Me and the guys." He raises an eyebrow at me.

I grab a hold of his arm and look him in the eyes. "Phoenix is alive?" My eyes widen at the thought of seeing him.

J rolls his eyes, "we don't have time for this."

My hope is soon replaced with anger, "it's a simple yes or no!"

I shout but it can't be heard over the gun fire, but I know J heard. He stiffens and looks back to me, "Yes."

His tone is laced with hatred. Every time I bring up Phoenix he gets ticked off. "What's your problem!?"