Chapter 5 [Edited]

Chapter 5
"What are you, Valentine?"
**

I look around and find myself standing in darkness. The boy wearing the black hoodie walks slowly towards me, he is taunting me. The shadow that his hoodie casts over his eyes only shows his smug smirk. Evil surrounds him, it echoes off every step he takes.

His ruff voice speaks low, "you always look at something and see its outside. But I can see the pain you have on the inside."

His evil laugh splits through the thick silence. Everywhere I look it's black. The floor, the walls, even the ceiling is black. I'm not nervous, my heart isn't beating fast. I don't even feel my heart beat at all. The boy begins to laugh once again, while he stops only a foot away from me. I am still blind, I can't see anything under his hoodie except his evil smirk.

"When you look at a unicorn you look for its horn, but what is a unicorn without its horn? What is a dragon without its fire? What is a dog without its bark? What is a rose without its pedals? What is a twin without its other half?"

He smiles showing his sharp teeth. He lifts his hoodie back with a satisfied smile. He has piercing gray eyes and solid black hair. The darkness outlines his chiseled jawline. He tilts his head and examines me.

"What are you, Valentine?"

I gasp sitting up, covered in a puddle of my own sweat. The moonlight shines through my slightly open curtains.

What are you, Valentine?

His words echo in my head, nonstop. His deep voice slides through the silence of my room. My door is cracked to let the darkness come deeper into my room. I close my eyes and let out a sigh of relief. I plop back down on my pillow. Afraid of opening my eyes, afraid that I'll be back in the darkness with that guy. It felt so real, could it have been?

My throat feels so dry I can barely swallow. I push the covers off me and make my way down stairs. Grabbing a cup, I pour water into it. I sit at the table and look out the small window above the sink.

What is a twin without its other half?

I don't know. I can't even sleep without having a bad dream. As soon as I got through J's funeral I came straight home and went to bed. I didn't even bother changing out of my dress. I look down at the wrinkled black dress. I scoff and drink down the rest of the water. I slam it on the table and walk off. I go and run the shower hoping to wash away the bad dream. I want to be strong, but how when on the inside I feel like I'm slowly cracking. I turn on music and hop into the shower. I let the water run over my face and down my body. I soak up everything I can, but no matter how hard I try the dreams don't leave. I lather up soap and wash my hair and body. I step out of the shower and dry off my body. I pause the music and slip on a white tank top with pink shorts.

I turn back to my phone and see a text message.

Unknown number
We are sorry. Don't run away from us, we can help. We know your pain.

I stare at the text message. I know who it's from, but how did they get my number? I huff and delete the message. I walk into my room and throw my phone on my pillow followed by my towel. I sit on the end of my bed lost in thought, replaying the dream in my head. I grab my phone and check the time, 3:45. I have two more hours of sleep until I have to wake up for school. Today I am going to be strong, I'm going to be the girl people fear. I'm going to be V.

I slip on a black jacket over my white tank top and change out my pink shirt for black jeans. Then pulling on my combat boots that lace up and pull my damp hair into a messy ponytail. I zip up the zipper on my jacket and glance at my appearance one more time before giving myself a approving nod.